It's 2019 - does Verizon still allow Blackberry Classic as a phone?
Enthusiast - Level 1

Came across my old BB Curve in a box the other day that is badged for Verizon service. Got me to thinking it would be kind of cool to go back to the old school size and function over my brick-size Samsung. Amazon sells one they call:

BlackBerry Classic, Black 16GB (Verizon Wireless) 

Amazon claims the phone is compatible with Verizon Wireless service only, but I don't want to plunk down the money unless I know the carrier will support it on my Verizon account. Any information appreciated. Obviously can't get a device IMEI without the actual phone in hand to run it through the online use your own device checker.

Labels (1)
Re: It's 2019 - does Verizon still allow Blackberry Classic as a phone?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Is it VoLTE capable? If not you can't activate it.

jenniferl_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi, 010619,

I appreciate you for bringing this question to our platform. I know how important it is to know all of your options for activating and purchasing the BlackBerry Classic. This good news is this phone can be purchased with us so you can have the complete confidence in knowing that it will work. However, if you decide to purchase it through Amazon just make sure that it is compatible and make sure it has a clean IMEI. https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/blackberry-classic/

Besides the size of your phone is there anything else wrong with your current Samsung?

JenniferL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

jenniferl_vzw wrote:

Hi, 010619,

I appreciate you for bringing this question to our platform. I know how important it is to know all of your options for activating and purchasing the BlackBerry Classic. This good news is this phone can be purchased with us so you can have the complete confidence in knowing that it will work. However, if you decide to purchase it through Amazon just make sure that it is compatible and make sure it has a clean IMEI. https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/blackberry-classic/

Besides the size of your phone is there anything else wrong with your current Samsung?

JenniferL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

If it doesn't have VoLTE you guys won't activate it and even if you did it's a paperweight in a year.

0 Likes
WHOSTHEMASTER
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW will not activate the BB Classic.  But if it is currently active on the network and is capable of utilizing the 4G network, it will continue to be operational on the network beyond 2019.  Phones that are utilizing only CDMA will no longer work after 2019.  These are the words of a VZW rep.  But then again, during this transition, you will get many different answers depending on which rep you speak with.

VoLTE capability is irrelevant.  VZW policy trumps.

0 Likes