Re: Device from different CDMA carrier
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

jimlung wrote:

I have been gven a Blackberry 9630 Tour which was originally on Telus (a Canadian CDMA service provider).  How do I go about using this with my Verizon service?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Your question has been asked a lot of times around the internet on various forums.  I found this article at http://www.unlockblackberry.org/news.htm that hints at your question.  Although the article is a couple of years old, it still answers the question.  Basically, your Blackberry from Telus would have to be unlocked.  A lot of users think the SIM card is the key to unlocking.  On CDMA phones such as Telus and Verizon, the phone doesn't even need the SIM card, unless you are traveling overseas and accessing those GSM networks.  You need Telus to release that CDMA MEI number.  Then, you would have to get Verizon to agree to activate that number on their network.  Chances are, they might not since it wasn't one of their phones.  Those are all questions you would need to just call Verizon's customer service and ask.  I bet if you agree to sign a contract for service, they would be more likely to agree.  Anyways, I hope that helps.

Doc

0 Likes