should i get a verizon specific or unlocked Priv - thanks for your help
afk18

That's all - what are some recommendations for buying a phone to bring into pre-paid. I want to make sure I choose the right one. thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: should i get a verizon specific or unlocked Priv - thanks for your help
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whichever one you get needs to have the correct radio frequencies that are compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon version of Priv is unlocked. If one is GSM unlocked, likely doesn't have CDMA.

So be sure that the one you get is compatible with VZW. Must be CDMA.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dick Lewis wrote:

Verizon version of Priv is unlocked. If one is GSM unlocked, likely doesn't have CDMA.

So be sure that the one you get is compatible with VZW. Must be CDMA.

Having band 13 is more important than CDMA as Verizon is phasing CDMA out. Verizon sells phones without CDMA in them. They have to have band 13 and support VOLTE though.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Rumors of phasing out CDMA has been around for over 5 years, not holding my breath.

Two most common models of the KEYone used in the US:

BBB100-2 (GSM) and BBB100-3 (CDMA) both have band 13.

At this time, we still need CDMA for use on VZW.

Anyone have a source for VZW phasing out CDMA? I would love a link.

I check this Page: Verizon News Center | About Verizon often, nothing there that I can see,.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Dick Lewis wrote:

Rumors of phasing out CDMA has been around for over 5 years, not holding my breath.

Two most common models of the KEYone used in the US:

BBB100-2 (GSM) and BBB100-3 (CDMA) both have band 13.

At this time, we still need CDMA for use on VZW.

Anyone have a source for VZW phasing out CDMA? I would love a link.

I check this Page: Verizon News Center | About Verizon often, nothing there that I can see,.

It's not a rumor. it's confirmed fact. Verizon stopped accepting CDMA only devices for certification back in September. After July 1st you will no longer be able to activate a CDMA only device on Verizon. Ones already on the network will still work until Dec 31 2019. Go to the basic phone sales page and you'll see all the CDMA only basic phones are gone. They all have LTE on them.

http://tomhamptonagency.com/wp-content/uploads/Verizon-3G-letter-1.pdf

0 Likes