Why hasn't Verizon pushed Marshmallow for the Blackberry Priv yet?
tomgnc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Overdue for update. I trust Verizon to provide services in a timely manner, that is why I am willing to pay Verizon's premium prices. I bought the Priv at a premium price and find out it is not up to date...last security patch June 6th and no Marshmallow... why?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Why hasn't Verizon pushed Marshmallow for the Blackberry Priv yet?
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Your question is newest found. Seems Verizon doesn't really care about customers.

One reply in another thread thought that we shouldn't be worried about updates.

I disagree, just paid full price for Priv, I was shocked when I checked "About" and noticed that version was 5.1.1. Testing, Smesting, there is no legitimate excuse that Verizon hasn't released Marshmallow yet.

Nor is Verizon even giving us a reasonable answer.

rgray
Contributor - Level 1

I spoke to Blackberry support today. The tech told me that Blackberry has sent Marshmallow to Verizon.

I also found this link that contains an email saying the same thing.

Verizon Marshmallow Update - Page 28 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

rgray
Contributor - Level 1

I filed an FCC complaint regarding this issue last week. I received a call from Verizon regarding my FCC complaint yesteday. The woman I spoke with confirmed that Verizon does have Marshmallow. and are testing it. She also said will be no further security updates to Lollipop. All new security updates will be for Marshmallow. I voiced my concerns about security of the phone and she understood.

I told her that Verizon needs to communitcate to it's PRIV owners on the status of Marshmallow. We can't get a straight answer on if it's being tested or when it will be released. I also suggested that Verizon techs should post something in the VZW Forums on the status of the Marshmallow testing. The fact that Verizon hasn't updated it's customers on the status of the issue is poor customer service.

She mentioned that there have a been a rise in FCC complaints from PRIV owners. Some customers she's spoken to were not as "constructive" as I was (they were [Removed]). I understand the need for testing but communitcation to your customers is important.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

Rise in complaints is an understatement.  I've been working closely with an FCC agent and what Verizon tells to people on the phone widely varies.  In short, complainants have been told:

* The phone makes calls and texts and that's all we need to do.

* That information is proprietary.

* "Upgrade" to an iphone.

* We'll send you a Galaxy S6 Edge and you can keep the Priv.

* We are working on it.

* We can't give you a date.

* We value you as a customer.

* We are beholden to our shareholders.

* Blackberry doesn't have any updates.

* Blackberry doesn't have monthly updates.

* Blackberry never sent patches to us.

* Patches come directly from Blackberry.

* We rejected the patches and sent them back to Blackberry.

* If you wanted patch support you should have bought an iPhone or a Nexus.

And several others conflicting statement.  In each case they file a standard form reply and try and close the complaint.  As you know, several of us are refusing to close it until the matter is resolved one way or another, regardless of how long it takes.  The FTC and FCC are investigating and are taking our complaints into account. FCC Launches Inquiry into Mobile Device Security Updates | Federal Communications Commission

aysoref

Verizon refuses to simply do what is right and push MM to the PRIV. Say you have your own Verizon PRIV and a family member has an AT&T iPhone. If you plug the AT&T SIM into the PRIV, it will become active and work just fine on AT&T's network. Would it then be possible to simply get AT&T's MM upgrade to it then restore the original SIM cards?

Did anyone try this and did it work?

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

Please don't try to do this.  The chances of messing up your radio baseband firmware and bricking your phone is very high.  This has been tried a few times without a successful outcome. People have bought unlocked AT&T devices for other carriers to find that their updates must come from AT&T (or an autoloader from Blackberry).  It seems that branded phones are locked to the original carrier for updates.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Agree with ggendel, but I have checked, only an upgrade from Verizon will work, different codes, so an AT&T SIM, nor pulling Verizon SIM will change that.

tomgnc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke with Blackberry HDQ in Canada and they agree with our frustration.  Verizon must be the one to push Security Patch and Marshmallow. Agent gave me Case# but advised me that she has responded to many, many frustrated Blackberry owners and until Verizon decides to respect their obligation to service us, nothing is going to happen. Verizon could care less. I paid $720.00 for mine and the next month they reduced it to $402.00. The agent was amazed. She said it was obvious that we are never going to be serviced properly.

As for me, as soon as I can figure a way, I am pulling my long standing account with both my wife's and my service (?). Absolutely disgusting way to treat the suckers who purchased Blackberry phones. It is also no way to treat Blackberry itself which is struggling to survive. Verizon is simply putting another nail in the coffin. Not by accident.

There must be a way to spread a word of caution to those who believe that Verizon is an ethical and honorable organization. Smiley Sad

rgray
Contributor - Level 1

How did you get in touch with Blackberry. Were did you find the number?

0 Likes