Can't Activate BB8530
lastmanfx

I recently got a Blackberry 8530 from Craigslist. I went to activate the phone and Verizon denied the activation because the phone was attached to a delinquent account. That being said, I know for a fact I'm trying to get my money back, but I would still like for the phone to be activated. Is there anything else that can be done (besides having the account paid off) so that this phone could be activated? I really don't understand why a phone is linked with an account, especially if it can't be released to another person? This doesn't happen with GSM phones.

Any positive help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't Activate BB8530
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

lastmanfx wrote:

I recently got a Blackberry 8530 from Craigslist. I went to activate the phone and Verizon denied the activation because the phone was attached to a delinquent account.  Exactly why we caution folks to ask and check to see if the phone has a clear ESN before purchasing.

That being said, I know for a fact I'm trying to get my money back, but I would still like for the phone to be activated. Is there anything else that can be done (besides having the account paid off) so that this phone could be activated? I don't think so...

I really don't understand why a phone is linked with an account, especially if it can't be released to another person? This doesn't happen with GSM phones. I would rather have the information stored at Verizon's servers than on a chip.  All someone needs to do with a stolen GSM phone is insert their own valid chip, and your phone is history.  With the CDMA system, if your phone is stolen and you report it, the phone is useless to anyone else; the phone won't work and so cannot run up charges.

Any positive help would be greatly appreciated.  Try to get your money back, and check the ESN with Verizon before purchasing the next phone to ensure there are no issues.  Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't know if there is anything different to say....

0 Likes
wetherb67
Contributor - Level 1
Usually, the person who bought the phone did so at a discounted price from Verizon and did not pay their bill. Verizon is trying to get some of their investment back by locking the phone. It's a tough lesson to learn though. Unfortunately the responsibility falls back on you for not checking the ESN out before you bought it. Lots of people make that mistake. You may be able to sell it as a "bad ESN" phone, as many people will unlock it and use it for another provider.
0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I'm sorry to hear this. You're not the first person this has happened to, unfortunately.

I don't use Craigslist, so I'm not sure what your resolution options are there. But I do know of one way to get this activated, and that's to pay the bill yourself.

0 Likes