How to Update Your Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Jay-VzW
Contributor - Level 1

Before updating, make sure your data has been backed up. To do this follow the KBs below:

Backup the device:

1.      Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager

2.      Click Backup and Restore

3.      Click Backup

4.      Save the backup file on your PC (By Default it saves in the My Documents folder (XP) / Documents folder (Vista)

• KB10339: How to restore data from a backup file to the BlackBerry smartphone (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339)                                                            

There are three ways to update your device software. 

Over the Air Software Load (OTASL)

Web Software Load (WebSL)

Application Loader

OTASL Overview

Wireless BlackBerry Device Software updates allow BlackBerry smartphone users to update the BlackBerry Device Software and BlackBerry Device Software applications wirelessly. BlackBerry smartphone users do not need to connect their BlackBerry smartphones to a computer to update the BlackBerry Device Software. BlackBerry smartphone users, wireless service providers, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrators are able to send requests for wireless BlackBerry Device Software updates.

If your doing an Over the Air Software Load (OTASL) - On your device, please goto Options à Advanced Options à Wireless Upgrade.  Once you select Wireless Upgrade, please follow the on screen instructions. 

For more information regarding OTASL please see the following KB Articles:

WebSL Overview

BlackBerry smartphone users have the option of updating the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones using web-based technology available on the BlackBerry Device Software updates web site. As part of the web-based BlackBerry Device Software update process, BlackBerry smartphone users are provided with a list of available BlackBerry Device Software updates that are approved by their wireless service providers

If you are doing a Web Software Load (WebSL) - On your Windows based PC, please goto  www.blackberry.com/storm/updates (You must be running Windows Internet Explorer 6 or 7)

Upon reaching this site, please follow the onscreen directions. 

For more information please see the following KB Articles:

Desktop Manager using Application loader Overview

BlackBerry smartphone users have the option of updating the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones using Application Loader found in Desktop Manager. This will allow users to update their Blackberry Smartphone using a wired USB connection.

If you are updating your software using the Application Loader through the Desktop Manager -

1.      Connect your device to the PC.

2.      Open the Desktop Manager Software

3.      Click on the Application Loader Button

4.      On the right hand side of the screen under "Update Applications" click "Start"

5.      Click the Advanced Button to bring you to the "Device Application Screen"

6.      Choose the appropriate applications for your device.

7.      Click on the Options Button and choose "Backup the device automatically during the installation process, then click OK

8.      Click Next

9.      Click Finish and wait for the process to complete

For more information please see:

Additional information

What if the upgrade fails:

Message Edited by Jay-VzW on 06-17-2009 01:05 PM
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: How to Update Your Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
glamoursmith

I did the Storm os upgrade recently from 4.7.0.75  to what ever the latest was on June 9, 2009.  When it was completed I found the phone had lost  the ability to wirelessly reconcile my gmail email messages, as well as no longer being able to send any email from those 2 accounts. The error message in the email configuration settings read this device is not configured for wireless reconcillation.  When I follow the directions to re-enable wireless reconcillation, the options that do that no longer exist on my phone.  Which is frustrating to say the least. 

I ended up downgrading to the 4.7.0.75 version to get my functionality back.  Now, however, I'm having problems syncing my Lotus Notes calendar to the BB from the desktop manager.  I keep getting the error message which reads:  "error in syncing"  and when I click on "ok"  the application closes back to the Blacberry Desktop Manager.

I'd really like to have the latest OS, but not at the cost of losing important functionality.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Carollynn

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

You probably just needed to revalidate your password to those addresses. options>email settings>email accounts> if it says validate pick on it. If not try to resend service books options>email settings>service books> send service books

0 Likes
Zapatopi

That's what happened to me. About a day or two after updating my Storm, I got two emails saying that one of my Hotmail addresses and my Gmail address had not been validated, so I re-setup my email passwords and they came back online.

Have no idea why my other Hotmail address wasn't affected though.

Also, is there a way to sync my Storm to a Mac machine (I know it can't be done natively, but is there some user-created program I can download on my Mac to sync it)?

Message Edited by Zapatopi on 06-21-2009 12:21 PM
0 Likes
rwalther
There is a way to sync a Blackberry with mac and its called PocetMac for Blackberry.
0 Likes
Bandit390
If your having issues updated to the newest version software on your storm, doing it wireless. Error something like, "not enough free memory, delete X mb". Even though we deleted everything off my friends, pulling the battary fixed the issue.
Message Edited by Bandit390 on 07-16-2009 10:14 AM
0 Likes
docfreed

New member here - great and useful board.  Two questions:

What is the most current update for Verizon  Curve 8330?

Where would I find it?

My current OS is 4.5.0.77

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
samsmom68

Ok, I've been reading and following, but still come to a dead end. I only have OS 4.1.0.377. I cannot download app world unless I have v4.2. I try to find an upgrade, which is available through app world. My Desktop manager does not show any available upgrades. I have hit a wall and need direction pplease!

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

What Blackberry model do you have?

Make sure that your desktop manager software is up to date, verison 5.0 is the latest release from Blackberry.com.

Then if BDM still doesn't recognize you have available updates then go directly to VZW's site here, and select the information that best fits your set up; model, BIS/BES etc.

On one of the pages it will list what version it is under the heading: Patch Name: Matienence Release (4.x.x.x)

0 Likes
chipellini

I have tried multiple times to update my Blackberry Desktop software from 4.7 version to 5.0 and have not been successful.  I removed the version 4.7 as instructed, then downloaded the 5.0 software from the Verizon site.  I keep getting an error message that says ..."zip damaged: file.  Bad CRC 7b2963ee (should be cd5032f4). Possible cause: file transfer error."    I re-downloaded at least 3 times and tried to install, but the file would not unzip and I continue to get the same error message.  I would like to update my BB storm to the 5.0 OS but wanted to upgrade my desktop software first.  Is there anyone who can tell me what I need to do to make this work?

0 Likes