Re: VZW Call Filter supposed to be free as of March 2019
MIKEPASTA
Enthusiast - Level 2

"It is also important to note that all Verizon devices are unlocked the moment they are activated on our network."

Not quite completely true. In fact, even unlocked phones brought to Verizon are partially locked by Verizon. I'll give you one example: Diagnostic Dialer Codes. They are blocked by Verizon as soon as you put the Verizon SIM in the phone and connect. I bought my S10+ from Samsung. Before I put my SIM in, I was able to access the dialer codes using the keypad. I'm sure you are familiar with them. For instance, entering *#06# immediately brought up my IMEI. All of the other codes worked fine as well. As soon as I put in the Verizon SIM and connected to my service, those codes no longer work. Even after taking out my SIM and trying it (even in Safe Mode), it no longer worked. I did a factory reset on my phone and tried it without the SIM, they worked again. As soon as I put my SIM back in, they were blocked. I went to my local store and the rep I talked with said that wasn't right. We called Tier 2 CS (while still at the store) and they said that yes, VZN does indeed block access to those dialer codes. They couldn't/wouldn't explain why as T-Mobile, Sprint & ATT do not block them. The rep at the store was quite dumbfounded on this. He said it didn't make sense. 

As far as the Call Filter app goes, will there come a time where VZN will let it be installed on unlocked Android phones? Is there a reason why VZN does not allow it on an unlocked device? I even checked into paying for the premium version, but found out that too is not compatible.

Thank you!