iPhone X Insurance - Asurion is a Rip-off
cdw0313
Enthusiast - Level 1

Asurion will NOT fix an iPhone X screen. They charge a $199 deductible to ship you a used iPhone replacement. Doesn't matter if you have a small crack, shattered your screen, or threw it in the garbage disposal. $199. They're making too much money off us. They just replace the screen themselves and ship it to the next person.

For reference, if you crack the screen on a brand new Samsung they'll send someone out to your house (same-day) to replace it for $29.

Verizon should have a disclaimer about this. You would save money if you didn't pay Asurion and just went to Apple to get it replaced if you happened to crack the front or back. It's definitely a scam.

My question is: How does Asurion and Verizon get away with this?

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone X Insurance - Asurion is a Rip-off
rcschnoor
Legend

Many of us on these forums have been saying insuring your phone thru Asurion is a rip-off for years, yet many seem to continue using them.

The fact you will receive a refurbished unit for a phone claim has not been hidden and is clearly stated in the plan.

This is the first I have ever heard of Asurion sending someone to your house(same-day) to fix a Samsung screen for $29.

That Asurion is a scam and you should simply go to Apple to fix your device is something that myself and many others on these forums have been telling people for years.

Asurion gets away with it because people continue to sign up for it.

cdw0313
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish I'd checked the forums before signing up. But yes, a family member with a new Samsung S8 cracked his screen and they came over to replace it for $29 last week. It's ridiculous.

Update: Asurion just LIED to my mother saying that screens for the iPhone X are not available and that's why they replace the whole phone.

VANJAD19
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same issue and was furious! I had been paying asurion insurance for months and when my screen cracked asurion didnt have the option available for screen repair/replacement. When asked why they said it could be multiple reasons, either they don’t have the parts or there’s not a tech available in our area, etc. Either way, it has nothing to do with the customer if Asurion cant provide what they’re supposed to, when we are paying for it!! Anyway, I called Verizon and told them the issue. They gave me a solution that was much better than what Asurion told me. Call Verizon, not Asurion, and tell them what happened. They might cover the expense or reimburse you if you get your phone repaired by another vendor.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As already mentioned, many people have stated that Ausurion and honestly most carrier insurance options are not the best option. For Apple devices AppleCare+ has always been the better choice but many didn't want to pay the upfront price to get it. So they opted for carrier options with monthly fees (not considering the long term cost actually being more). Then Best Buy started offering AppleCare with monthly payment options. Well now Apple offers the monthly option AND now offers theft and loss protection also. So at this point there is no excuse for feeling ripped off unless you opt to get any insurance (including AppleCare) without honestly reading and understanding all of the terms...not just what you were verbally told. Majority of the time the problem is there...consumers assume a salesperson that may not honestly be well trained in the product and works on a commission based salary will be able to give them 100% of the details involved verbally. Most admit that they don't read the paperwork (yes, getting it digitally is still getting it...even if you just don't bother to open it and read it). If they did they wouldn't be surprised later...they actually may rethink the decision and cancel immediately or not sign up for it if they did things the right way and advocated for themselves to make sure they truly got the correct info. This isn't meant to blame the customer...but it is meant to remind people that we do have to do our part to make sure we make informed decisions based on all available info versus relying on he said/she said. It's time consuming and yes, a lot of times salespeople will rush you. You have to take control and let them know you need time to review because after they complete your sale they aren't thinking about you anymore...but after the sale is completed YOU are the one that has to deal with the aftermath

Cook1018

asurion now does screen repairs on the X they told me I had to get a whole new device because they tested it and failed. I told them I had phone tested before I sent out. They Then changed story they don't have tool to fix it and will send me another for free. But in silver after i waited an extra month for grey. They scam people into thinking they will get a simple screen replaced for $30 mess you up

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
califwoods
Enthusiast - Level 1

I experienced this same problem with Asurion today.  I have a fully-functional iphone XR that I bought new from Verizon less than 6 months ago.  My screen cracked.  I sent it off to Asurion and received an email stating that they are unable to fix my phone and to call them.  I called and was told that my phone didn't pass diagnostic tests and therefore could not be fixed for the $29 payment.  When I pressed for which diagnostic test it failed, the phone service person could not give me specifics.  I was then advised that my only option was to pay a full $199 for a replacement phone.  This felt WRONG and I told them so.  I had already called local cell phone repair shops and was told the charge for replacing the glass on the XR would be $200 so I felt stuck when Asurion pulled this.  Now, after reading this forum, I expect they aren't sending me a new phone at all but rather a refurbished one and my original phone which is PERFECT will be recycled by them to make more money.  This needs to be investigated and STOPPED.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

A) Asurion is not Verizon they are what every carrier uses B) Why are Apple people not using Applecare? C) You can get insurance for you phones from other places.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

don't drop your phone!!

mama23dogs
Legend

@califwoods wrote:

I experienced this same problem with Asurion today.  I have a fully-functional iphone XR that I bought new from Verizon less than 6 months ago.  My screen cracked.  I sent it off to Asurion and received an email stating that they are unable to fix my phone and to call them.  I called and was told that my phone didn't pass diagnostic tests and therefore could not be fixed for the $29 payment.  When I pressed for which diagnostic test it failed, the phone service person could not give me specifics.  I was then advised that my only option was to pay a full $199 for a replacement phone.  This felt WRONG and I told them so.  I had already called local cell phone repair shops and was told the charge for replacing the glass on the XR would be $200 so I felt stuck when Asurion pulled this.  Now, after reading this forum, I expect they aren't sending me a new phone at all but rather a refurbished one and my original phone which is PERFECT will be recycled by them to make more money.  This needs to be investigated and STOPPED.

Take it to Apple, they will repair it.  It will still cost you $200, but at least it’s not a refurbished phone.  (Or is it?  🤨). 

0 Likes