LG G2 kitkat SEVERE battery drain and performace issues
aedinger
Enthusiast - Level 1

After updating my LG G2 to kitkat the other day, my phone performance and battery life have been absolutely awful. Previously I could go 24  hours on a charge with moderate use, and now I'm lucky if I get 4 hours with it sitting on my desk unused with battery saver on. I also get stuttering while navigating, running apps, etc., and it freezes often. I can hardly even use my phone at this point. Anyone else encounter these problems? Anyone know what's wrong?

Labels (1)
Re: LG G2 kitkat SEVERE battery drain and performace issues
darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the exact same issues along with many others. I can no longer send or receive texts either, answering a call is a nightmare. My phone used to charge to 100% in about 1.5 hours and last for roughly 20-24 hrs. At the moment it's been charging 1.5 hours and it just hit 17%. Within the first hour of the update my phone went from 93% to 15%. Once it died, I plugged it in and it charged decently fast back to 100% so I unplugged it and sat down and watched it drop a percent per minute until it died on me again. I ran task killers and deleted apps and managed to get 3 hours of life off the 3rd charge of the day and now it's not even wanting to charge fast at all. It drains faster than it charges. I plugged it in to charge yesterday at 4 pm. At 2 am it was finally fully charged and I unplugged it to see if it was gonna behave and it was dead by 7:30 am. I was asleep during that entire time frame so it was NOT being used. Oh and it now overheats so badly that it burns me if I touch my face/ear to it.

I want to try a hard factory reset but I have over 1000 photos to back up and now my computer will no longer recognize the phone, it won't install any drivers, it's all errors. So I tried Wireless Storage which I already had set up and was working great and now it won't even turn on on the phone. It's useless. So I resorted to the Verizon Cloud and I can't access any of my photos now anywhere else other than my phone because to activate my account I have to receive the temp password from Verizon in a text  but it wont send or receive texts at all on either wifi or data. Kitkat as good as bricked my 3 week old phone. My hubby's phone on the other hand, is working just fine post update. ARGH!

aedinger
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exactly, I've been through all the same attempted fixes at you have. Oh, and I tried to factory reset last night, and when I pressed the button to do so a warning came up saying something like "The phone will reboot twice", I hit okay, and nothing happens. I've tried this a dozen times, but it seems that even the factory reset is no longer functional on my phone with kitkat.

I've seen some reports of these issues throughout the web, but no solutions. I don't understand how an update like this could be released when it has such a severe effect on so many phones, and there doesn't appear to be a fix from verizon/LG in the works.

0 Likes
Jessetcooper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the exact same issues. I haven't been able to send any texts outside of last night to a sprint user and the back-and-forth was seamless. However when I attempt to text anyone else nothing happens. Today, my phone was fully charged as of 8am, it is now 12pm and my battery is at 12% with nothing being used other than looking up on wifi why my phone is as useless as a warm piece of wood. My phone is running extremely hot with nothing going on. Also, My alarm clock this morning went haywire playing the alarm twice only a fraction of a second apart on top of each other with no way to turn it off. I had to restart it to get it to stop.

darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone has been charging for almost 4 hours now and its still just at 34%. I think I'm gonna go attempt a factory reset while it's plugged in and see if it works. I'm scared now that it might not work considering the insane amount of issues it is having now. If it does work, I hope it will at least speed up the charge. I found a site last night that walks you thru flashing your g2 back to stock (JB) and it seems to be working. I'll share the link once I find it again in case anyone is interested in trying it. I'll update what the reset does...if anything.

J_Carp

I had similar battery drain issues.

Resolution should be as follows:

1.)  Go into settings > location and then set location mode to battery saving instead of high accuracy.  Kitkat uses more location services, so putting in battery saving mode will help a lot.

2.)  Open up Google Now - swipe up from home button.  When in Google Now, click on menu settings and then Voice and then "OK Google" hotword detection - turn off this feature as it is constantly trying to listen for the hotword and the processor architecture of this phone is not as efficient as others that are designed specifically for this.  This will also help save battery.

After implementing both of these changes, I recharged the phone to 100% and have been monitoring battery and it has improved significantly.  My battery meter directly within Android system settings is currently showing 66h and 12 min remaining with ~90% of battery remaining.

Hope this helps as it did for me.

0 Likes
darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks...going to go try that now before I do the hard reset. Makes sense why that would help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to get you enjoying the awesome update for your phone, aedinger. J.Carp had some fantastic suggestions to help with battery conservation with the newest update. But I'm concerned about the strange behavior you've mentioned when attempting the reset. The steps have not changed with the update. If the preferred method of reset is not processing, there are alternate steps at http://vz.to/1tHpHUS. You can also try putting your phone into Safe Mode http://vz.to/1tHpSzA before resetting the phone to see if it may simply be a few applications that need to be removed instead of the entire restart.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

J.Carp wrote:

I had similar battery drain issues.

Resolution should be as follows:

1.)  Go into settings > location and then set location mode to battery saving instead of high accuracy.  Kitkat uses more location services, so putting in battery saving mode will help a lot.

Probably explains why I have not had these battery issues since I have always had the Location feature turned off.

0 Likes
Jessetcooper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spoke with someone from best buy and they seemed much more knowledgeable abut the whole thing than any Verizon associate I spoke with. He informed me that hard resetting could help because it sounded like kit Kat didn't install correctly and this would force it to reinstall fixing any issues that occurred initially

0 Likes