Re: Unified email addresses sent to gmail first?
regor3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will look at the settings in her gmail in a web browser. I assumed there was really only two way for one server to get emails from another.

1. Charter is set to foward all emails to Gmail and keep the email on Charter's serve too. (not what is happening here)

2. Gmail somehow reachs into Charter's server and downloads the mail to gmail. I suppose there would be options to leave the email on Charter's server. (But that doesn't explain why Charter's server doesn't keep the original email).

But instead what is happening here seems to be that gmail reachs into Charter server, hijacks the email and somehow deposits the hijacked mail back to Charter after it performs gmails rules.

Never having used the "unified" Andoid option (and I assume that was how it was done) I would have assumed the unified system would poll from mail from all accounts and put it into one box. But that doesn't seem to be happening here. But maybe they didn't do it from the phone but from the gmail web instead changing Charter's mail to gmail by taking the mail before Charter puts it on the server?

Here is what I want for her. Her phone would poll Charter and Gmail and put all emails in a common folder on the phone without Gmail modifiying the email sent to the Charter's address. Of course if the email was being put on the Gmail server then I would expect gmail to apply their own rules... but not to the email left on the Charter account.

Anyway I thank you for your response and will check her Gmail web setup.

BTW I'm in over my head here. 🙂

0 Likes