LG Ally - data usage- Using data mb's while I'm not even using it myself?
shancat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have read several posts talking about mg usage happening while the user isn't even using their phone.  I check my email maybe half a dozen times a day, if that.  Don't go online and seems I'm still using over 5 but less than 10 mb per day.  I did turn the wifi on but am not really around a lot of wifi options all day.  Just want to be able to check my email a handful of times a day and maybe go on fb; and would like to stay on the $15 -150 mb plan.  i wonder if the accuweather widget/application I have on my home page is using a lot of mbs?  I have Advanced Task Killer running automatically and Lookout (virus software); other than that, I don't really go into the market place or use any other apps ...how did I do 17 mb's in two days??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Ally - data usage- Using data mb's while I'm not even using it myself?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Most widgets will use some data, especially weather widgets. Most of these can be set up for how often they update, though. Also, email apps will check on occasion to see if you have any new mail and Lookout has a backup feature which can also use data. I would suggest going through any apps that may update info/use data and set them as low as is bearable. In addition, you can turn off background data, I think in settings> wireless & networks which should disallow data use when you are not using your phone. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
shancat
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will try that...thank you!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can also try Quick Settings app from the Market. It has an option to disable/turn off the mobile network without affecting your ability to make phone calls. That way you can control when your phone uses the mobile network. Just make sure to press menu then customize and drag the mobile network option into the main grouping when you open the application the first time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Smart phones always connect, this is normal. Its not like a regular phone. Make sure data is off and that will guarantee no data is passing trough. Keep in kind that you wont be able to update apps. I would recommend use wifi.

View solution in original post

0 Likes