Re: what's up with 4g lte service in north charlotte nc?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the stats, mc1lean.
They can vary depending on the usage on the tower (naturally), but I'm curious to know how it is working for you over the past couple of days.

Tamara_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
okiedare

I live on the northern most part of the 28092, between Lincolnton and Hickory. I was in the extended area for a little more than a year using a Pantech and an MBR 1000 from cradle point while hitting a tower in Lincolnton. Then about 6 months ago 4G show up on the phones constantly and fast! About 2 months ago I switched to a 4G router from Verizon and it worked better than my pantech.

I waS picking up my signal from the north toward Hickory.

In the last month the 4g has disappeared. The phones no longer get a 4 g signal and my router started cutting out often. This started following a very bad thunderstorm. I called vzw and had two network tickets. Both said it was my location. No matter that I have had a Strong 4g signal for the last 6 months.

I have switched back to my Pantech and back on the Lincolnton tower. Much slower now. And on top of that, my 3g signal is worse than it was 6 months ago.AfTer reading many of the blogs, your location is always the problem. Never their equipment. AT&T will have their LTE here soon, and I will be making the switch. Good luck in Lincolnton mc1 lean.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details mc1lean! I show 28092 is a VZW area, but your exact location may be in 4G extended service. Average 4G download speeds are 5-12 Mbps, 2-5 for upload, so it appears you're still within that range. If you were advised that your house was extended network, then signal can vary between 3G and 4G. During heavy traffic times, it can be slower as well. When you say it's unusable at times, do you notice this during certain hours? Another thing you can do while in extended 4G is switch your device to CDMA only which will allow your device to pickup 3G.

Open VZAccess Manager with your card inserted, but do NOT connect to the internet.

Hold Control D on your keyboard.

You will be prompted to enter a password. Enter diagvzw.

Select "settings" from the menu.

In the for preferred operating mode section, select Auto CDMA Then click OK.

Your modem will now only connect to the 3G network. Just remember that you will need to manually change it if you travel to an area where you want to connect to the 4G network (if available).

Marquia_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
okiedare

As a follow-up......On Sat. my 4g signal magically came back after being down for at least 18 days.  Back to double digit downloads and 7 to 10 on the upload, averaging -95 dbm on 4g.   And this is on 2 different phones, and I have changed nothing on my end, especially my location.

I am going to give it a couple of days, and I am going to try my 4G router again.

0 Likes
mc1lean
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tamara and Marquia form VZW, Thanks for getting back!

The point I was trying to make was that my signal/speed was wonderful for the last 6 months then a few weeks ago it started getting 'flaky'. So I have to echo okidare's experiences (both). I had the same problem last year and after many calls and me physically driving to several towers and troubleshooting with support, they finally admitted "something was wrong" and they fixed it. I was just hoping I could get someone to check this time w/o going through outages and all that hassle. Last couple of days it has been better but still not like it was 3 weeks ago. I live in the sticks and I know you haven't suddenly had a bunch of farmers suddenly go out and get wireless. Most can get cable. I just happen to be unlucky enough to live on a short road between 2 highways where no one will ever find it cost effective to run fiber.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is our pleasure to assist mc1lean! I certainly want to dig deeper to see what has changed! Please send me a follow request and private message me your mobile number.

I am looking forward to your reply!

Thank you,

Lena_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mc1lean
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure how to private message on this site.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

mc1lean Follow these instructions below and you'll be sending DM's in No time on here:.

To get a hold of one of the Wireless Employee that's trying to Assist in helping answer a Question or solve an Issue you Need to Put your Mouse on there Screen Name, Or this Box shown Here when you do that it Brings Up a Bigger Box as you See this slide your Mouse down to were it says Follow Click it. You will see a big blue Bar towards the Bottom that says waiting approval  Meaning the party you want to follow has to Approve to let you follow them. Now Once they give the Approval they will send one back to you An you will see it in the Actions Box Look up just a little it's Red with a Check in it.  Go in there you will see these Three choices Look in your Notifications for new Followers that want to Follow you will have {Accept}  {Reject}  {Ignore}  For your Choices:  To let them follow you an then send a D.M. = Direct Message you will need to Check Accept then you a Can send your Private Messages or Cell phone  Information instead of Posting it on the Main Post were other Eye's can Read it.  Sending a D.M. is Easy,  It's Fast, An It's Safe. B33 Smiley Happy 

Verizon Wireless Customer Support   <<< This is the Box you need to put your mouse on to Bring up the Bigger Box an to then Check Fol...

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Marquia_VZW: While your desire to help is certainly appreciated, I must say that this type of scripted solution only serves to discourage current and future customers.  Mclean1 is a regular on this forum and has clearly been receiving 4G service for many years at the same location.  Now, all of a sudden, he is supposed to switch to 3G?  Wouldn't it be more helpful to open a ticket so that someone can investigate what is clearly a tower issue?

Are you also saying that Verizon customers can expect slower than 5 Mbps during heavy traffic times?  How low should we expect this to go?  3 Mbps?  1 Mbps?  56 Kbps?

Again, I appreciate your willingness to help.  Your answers to the above questions would further help clarify things.  Thanks.

0 Likes
mvcarpenter

I'm having similar issues in Huntersville, zip code 28078. Definitely not as rural as you guys. When I switched to Verizon and got the iPhone 5 in September, I had 3-4 bars of LTE and decent speeds. Now, I have 1 bar all day long, and sometimes it reverts back to 3G because it can't hold onto the LTE signal. I've called, done the online chat, and Twitter. Always get the same response, that I am in an excellent coverage area. My wife has the exact same phone and is having the exact same issue, so it's not a phone or hardware problem.

Here's a speed test from last night:

IMG_0599.PNG

0 Likes