Home Fusion Data Usage
tennriverman

We got a new PC at home.  We connected  both the old PC and the new PC to the wi-fi SSID provided by the Home-fusion device..

We then transferred a 10 GB+ between the two devices.  Shortly after we received a data alert.  I was very surprised to learn that the transfer did not stay on our local wi-fi but rather actually used the 4G LTE of the home fusion to do the transfer.  This was verified by Verizon tech support.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  If true this is an incredibly wrong design and not the way I was told it would work when I purchased the home product.

I was planning to connect my projector to my MAC via the same SSID to wirelessly watch movies but heck no now.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Home Fusion Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello tennriverman,

We want to make sure that we do all that we can to assist you in enjoying your wireless services with us. That is our commitment to you and I want to refresh that commitment today. In order to assist, I have some questions for you so I can get a better understanding of the issue. May I ask were you attempting to transfer the 10GB wirelessly? If so then are both of your computers Windows based or Macintosh? Can I assume that the information that's being transferred is native on the old computer? As you share the details then we can assist with a solution.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tennriverman

Was transferring between a Windows 7 PC and a Windows 8 PC wirelessly thinking since both are local it would stay on my wireless network and not use 4G bandwidth.

0 Likes
Not applicable

tennriverman wrote:

Was transferring between a Windows 7 PC and a Windows 8 PC wirelessly thinking since both are local it would stay on my wireless network and not use 4G bandwidth.

It SHOULDN'T be using LTE at all. There must be some sort of setting in the HF router that will makes sure you're not doing that. Otherwise like you said it's a stupid design. You may need a regular router set up just to use to for things you want to transfer on your home network.

mphillips202
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the exact same situation happen to me on Jan 1, 2014. I was moving a 10gb file from my wife's Mac Book to my Mac Book via the wireless network. Then I got a Data alert. That 10GB file was counted as using Verizons data. As anyone with small amount of networking experience knows, this is an internal network transfer. Verizon is charging for bandwith that is not being used. I spoke to a customer service rep right after it happened and they said they would have the tech team look at it. They never got back to me. I called again today and was connected to a tech named Veronica. She said that it does not matter if the transfer was internal or came from the internet, they dont have a way to differentiate between the two so they just bill you for everything.

If anyone from Verizon reads this, you may want to kick it over the legal dept. because you are opening yourself up for Class Action. That 10GB transfer cost me $100 in overages and Verizon WILL NOT ISSUE A CREDIT. It is the same as having 2 Verizon phones in your home but getting billed for talking to the person next to you. In no way does the transfer draw from the Verizon network, its a simple internal network transfer.

Justwireless
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is really bad about this and will assure you that you used the data. I had the same trouble and was assured I used it but could not tell me how much @ what time of day or date.

GinaDS
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
SmokinJoeG
Enthusiast - Level 2

GinaDS, on May 28th 2014 from 1235 am to 904 am Verizon is trying to convince me and my wife that we used 53 GBs in that time frame. We all know when you go over you get a text telling you. Each text means 1 GB over and is from the same number that texted you before. Well to our suprise when we woke up we had 53 messages from 3 different numbers. The times between these text were saying we used 1GB of data in 7 min. All 3 numbers had us going over at different times also. I have spoken to many reps about this and even have had the magical "Gold Ticket" made up. But it doesnt seem to matter we never get called back and to this day we are still fighting with verizon to see if they can realize we didn't use this data. And by the way It is impossible to use 1 GB of data in 7 min. They are trying to say that our Direct TV is what used the data when it was downloading its software. But FYI when they do there download it goes through the sattalite not the internet. Anyways we get to call back on Friday to see if someone will come to there senses on the amount of data used in the time frame that it was used is impossible.

GinaDS
Enthusiast - Level 3

SmokinJoG

SAME HERE! I HAVE 3 DIFFERENT "TEXT" #S THAT WE RECEIVE THE SAMEEEE THING.  TO NO AVAIL, NOW THEY R DOING A "DIAMOND" TICKET? NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS. AT THIS POINT, I FEEL ITS A SCAM. GUESS WHAT? OUR CYCLE ENDED AT MIDNIGHT LAST NITE. I HAD THE BOX OFFFFFF FOR TWOOOOO DAYSSAID WE USED 12.812 GB OF DATA AND BOX WAS "OFF"... THAT IS DOWN RIGHT WRONG. I HOPE SOMEONE FIXES WHATEVER IS GOING ON. GO TO UR " ADMIN" PAGE AND LOOK CAREFULLY UNDER EACH TAB. I FOUND "FIOS" UNDER MINEIF I HAD FIOS I WOULDN'T BE HAVING NO DATA PROBLEMS. ITS NOT EVEN ELIGIBLE WHERE I LIVE??? THAT'S WHEN SHE SAID "I NEED TO DO A DIAMOND TICKET". BUT SHE REMINDED ME ABT 50 TIMES OVER 3 1/ 2 HOURS " I CANT OVERRIDE THESE CHARGES".. CRAZY MESS IS WHAT IT IS. STAY IN TOUCH!!!!

Gina  Smiley Happy  O:)

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
SmokinJoeG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes Diamond Ticket is what I meant. 530 dollars in overages is just crazy

to me. We have 2 kids and they go over some times but what can you expect.

This is not the only problem we have had. We had the myfi card before home

fusion. Tech told us to keep it active for 2 months to make sure home

fusion worked. We did and canceled after 2 months 7 months later we went to

get son new phone and saw on the screen we were still being charged for

myfi. Called and we're told no problem you will get 350 back. Called again

150 back. Called again 50 back and we're told it was our fault for not

checking bill no money back at all.