So is anyone doing video conferencing over 3-4G?
bahamamills

My DSL is horrible 1Mdown 380K Up and considering going to mobile because of speeds.   My question would be around latency and jitter.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: So is anyone doing video conferencing over 3-4G?
shawnshine
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Thunderbolt and have been using the Fringe app for video conferencing.  Video Quality is grainy and the audio lags about 1-2 seconds, but given that the Skype app for 4g still isn't available, it's an ok alternative even though it's designed for 3g.

0 Likes
bahamamills

Shawn thanks for the reply.    My question was more about using a hotspot in either 3-4G and doing desktop, small appliance video conferencing over the network not necessarily using a phone.   My issue where I live is broadband speed and sadly 3G is faster and 4G coming is much faster.   I was just curious with the latency and jitter if 4G could possibly fit the bill.

0 Likes
GinaH_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hi bahamamills, welcome to the community. Are you asking about speed? With 3G, download speed average  600 Kbps - 1.4 Mbps,  upload  500 - 800 Kbps. 

4G average download speed is 2 to 5 Mbps, upload 5 to 12 Mbps and average latency 30ms. Keep in mind a latency below 50ms is equal to wireline connections.  

You can confirm coverage in your area at www.verizonwireless.com/coveragelocator

To read more about our 4G network go to www.verizonwireless.com/4g

We do have great 3G coverage in Bahamas, NC and a 14-day trial period so you can try the service yourself without any obligation.

Thanks. Have a great evening!

0 Likes
bahamamills

Thanks Gina,   I will wait for the 4G rollout and try the wireless service to replace my broadband.   I understand the speed portion but was more interested in the experiences with Latency and Jitter and impact on Video Conferencing if any.

0 Likes