Throttling 4G LTE
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon throttling 4G LTE users that are only on Unlimited Grandfathered plans is completely (removed). This is obviously just about greed and a money grab. Especially when Verizon is saying that the top 5% of users are using about 5GB of data will be effected but Verizon sales data plans that people can sign up for and they can use over 10GB of data.

I know there are people on the "More" plan that use more data than me and I'm on an old Unlimited plan still but I'll be throttled and they won't. Since this will be a breach of contract by Verizon I hope to use this to leave Verizon finally for good. Cricket or Straight Talk will be where I land for now. Can't wait to use a GSM phone.

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Throttling 4G LTE
Not applicable

You're wrong of course. Not sure how this is a money grab when unlimited data users aren't charged anything for going over 5 GB. There isn't a "throttling" charge. If Verizon really want to have a money grab they kill off unlimited data and force those people get get tiered data plans.

By the way At&t, Sprint and T-Mobile ALL have pretty much the same throttling policy with their unlimited data customers.

0 Likes
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

Sprint and T-Mobile still have truly Unlimited data. No cap. Check it out, it's common knowledge. Of course Sprint's network is very limited in most areas and T-Mobile is only in major cities.

If this new throttling isn't geared towards punishing Unlimited Data users why are they the only ones being targeted? It's very simple what they are doing. They're plan is to make staying on Unlimited Data pointless. If they slow your speed down to 3G or more than likely Edge to the point it's unusable they are hoping those users will move to the more expensive More Everything plans.

Right now I have Unlimited Data on 2 lines. $29.99 per line plus $9.99 a line access fee. What does Verizon charge per line access fee right now? $40 per line. Then take on the price for data. I'm a heavy user since I stream music and use my phone for navigation. I have 3 emails accounts. So add $80 for data. That's $160 before taxes and surcharges. Going to be way more that the $153 a month I pay now.

I guess if you are narrow minded and don't look at the big picture then this isn't an attempt at a money grab. Even the FCC chairman sees this for what it is.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Sprint and T-Mobile DO NOT have "truly Unlimited" data. There ARE restrictions which can lead to your account being cancelled.

From Sprint

"Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100 MB or a majority of KB." 100 MB in an unlimited plan IS NOT a large number.

From T-Mobile

"Full speeds available up to monthly allotment; then slowed to up to 2G speeds for rest of billing cycle. Roaming and on-network data allotments differ; 1 GB full-speed plan includes 10 MB roaming; 3 GB and Unlimited 4G full-speed plans and 5 GB limited Smartphone Mobile Hotspot feature  include 50 MB roaming; 5 GB full-speed plan includes 100 MB roaming. " 50 MB in an unlimited plan IS NOT a large number.

0 Likes
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

That's not the truly unlimited plan at T-Mobile. T-Mobile has the mutiple types of "Unlimited" Plans. But one is truly unlimited.

T-Mobile

More about your plan:

• Unlimited talk, text & data while on our network
  • UNLIMITED 4G LTE data (includes up to 5 GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service)
  • NEW: Unlimited music streaming on services like Pandora, iHeartRadio and more, plus a subscription to Rhapsody unRadio included at no extra charge for compatible devices for as long as you have your plan
  • Recommended for streaming as much media and downloading as many apps as you want on our network

Sprint

Their All In My Way plan offers truly Unlimited data for $110 a month. I've looked into all of these. So you can go back to promoting Verizon like they pay you.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Throttling 4G LTE
rcschnoor
Legend

rebretz wrote:

That's not the truly unlimited plan at T-Mobile. T-Mobile has the mutiple types of "Unlimited" Plans. But one is truly unlimited.

T-Mobile

More about your plan:

• Unlimited talk, text & data while on our network
  • UNLIMITED 4G LTE data (includes up to 5 GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service)
  • NEW: Unlimited music streaming on services like Pandora, iHeartRadio and more, plus a subscription to Rhapsody unRadio included at no extra charge for compatible devices for as long as you have your plan
  • Recommended for streaming as much media and downloading as many apps as you want on our network

Sprint

Their All In My Way plan offers truly Unlimited data for $110 a month. I've looked into all of these. So you can go back to promoting Verizon like they pay you.

Obviously you didn't read your entire little post backing up your claim, otherwise you would have deleted the part about being ON OUR NETWORK. The information I posted specifically states limits ON UNLIMITED DATA PLANS about roaming data use. Nothing you have shown contradicts that information.

Personally I couldn't care less what provider someone uses. I think they should choose the provider which best suits their needs. When someone says something incorrect about Verizon(whether good OR bad) I correct them. The same goes for other providers.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: Re: Throttling 4G LTE
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

(Removed) on their network. That's a given. Why would they pay roaming fees for you to use unlimited data on some other Network.

The only good thing about Verizon is the coverage. They're prices are way to high for as little as you get.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Point being if someone with "truly unlimited" data has to pay extra for the data they use OR their account is cancelled because of the amount of data they use, it isn't "truly unlimited". There are restrictions. The person using the data won't care about the reason, they will not be happy about it if they DON'T have "truly unlimited" data when they were told they did.

0 Likes
Not applicable

rebretz wrote:

Sprint and T-Mobile still have truly Unlimited data. No cap. Check it out, it's common knowledge.

You don't read the fine print. BOTH of them have "network management" option that they employ on unlimited data users. FACT

from Sprint

Sprint currently employs prioritization to improve data experience for the vast majority of users on Sprint’s CDMA and LTE networks. The heaviest data users consume a disproportionate share of network resources and cause a negative user experience for the rest. To more fairly allocate network resources in times of congestion, customers falling within the top 5% of data users may be prioritized below other customers attempting to access network resources, resulting in a reduction of throughput or speed as compared to performance on non-congested sites. Though the exact amount of data used before a customer falls within the top 5% of data users will vary from month to month, currently customers who typically use 5 GB or more in a given month are likely to fall within the top 5% of data users.

Hmmm sounds an awful lot like what Verizon wants to do.

Quoted from T-Mobile

A T-Mobile spokesperson told Ars, "we do not throttle our Unlimited customers. We do manage infrequent network congestion issues through prioritization of customer traffic."

Sounds like throttling to me.

0 Likes
herkeye
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon sold a product and now they want to back out.  They are NOT throttling users because of usage the ARE throttling users because they don't pay them $750/month.  Verizon will gladly step aside and let you stomp on other users at 100 gig per month it you will pay them.

I encourage all unlimited data users to file an FCC complaint.  The more complaints the more the FCC will have to address it.

File Complaint | FCC.gov