Will the new Sony Xperia XZ work on verizon?
kanosr

I'm looking at getting the new Sony Xperia ZX Premium phone. I know that Verizon is cdma and that has never worked in the past with GSM phones. But the phone has "LTE (4G) Cat16 with Gigabit-class speeds" I'm curious if the new phones with LTE support will work on Verizons Network. I'm not totally sure how all that works so if someone could inform me, that would be great.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will the new Sony Xperia XZ work on verizon?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nnlee76 We understand how important certain devices are to our customers. If we could carry every brand we would. At this time we don't have information to share regarding the Xperia XZ. However, this link will allow you to check to see if your phone is compatible. http://vz.to/2qBMc1r Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Specifications?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Lately Sony has not been making devices that are compatible with Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kanosr,

I know how important it is to have a phone you enjoy. However, it's equally important to know before you make that purchase if it will work on our network. You can check to see if the phone is compatible by clicking here: http://vz.to/2bCbPMD.

AliciaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
flyer_andy

Hi - I thought I'd chime in on this one as I have some experience working with "un-approved" devices on Verizon.

In summary, yes...it should work as the Xperia XZ has all Verizon LTE bands (2, 4, and 13)...BUT...due to the lack of CDMA abilities, the Xperia will potentially be data-only and thus might not be able to receive and send SMS and/or voice calls except over SIP, Skype, Hangouts, or similar. You also almost certainly will not be able to activate a SIM card on Verizon with the XZ's IMEI (so you'll have to already have an active one). However, there is some good news...

With Android 7.0 Nougat, it seems that Google has injected some managed provisioning coding into the firmware that allows non-Verizon-approved devices to provision for Verizon VoLTE, thus allowing for calls and texts over LTE (up until recently, only Verizon-approved devices could use Verizon VoLTE it seemed). I know for sure that the ZTE Axon 7, which is not Verizon-approved, can make and receive VoLTE calls on Verizon's network as of the Nougat update as long as the user toggles the "VoLTE Provisioned" setting in the Testing menu to force the phone to provision itself.

Also...Interestingly, Verizon phones deactivate their CDMA connection when on VoLTE and effectively become GSM-only devices...so this charade that Verizon is partaking in with respect to stonewalling non-CDMA band 13 devices is really getting absurd...I wonder if the Intel-based iPhone 7 devices (which don't have CDMA but do have band 13 LTE) will force Verizon into a corner insofar as them having to start activating such GSM-only devices...here's hoping. Technically, due to FCC regulations, it's illegal for Verizon to deny any band 13 LTE-capable device proper service, but there are some fuzzy areas that make this not so cut and dry.

So, anyway, long story short...with some technical tinkering (i.e., APNs, network mode tweaking (LTE/CDMA auto, Global, LTE only, etc.), VoLTE Provisioning teaking) you probably would be able to get LTE data to work on Verizon with the Xperia XZ and you *might* be able to get VoLTE to work as well, if the Xperia is capable of provisioning for it. But it's not a sure thing so be ready to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile in case Verizon doesn't work out if you elect to buy the Xperia...and if you can't switch to one of these other carriers due to coverage or other factors, I'd say that buying an XZ is a risk, especially considering the very high price of the handset. Good luck! I'd like to try an Xperia too!

0 Likes
nnlee76
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would think Verizon boasting of being the fastest and the largest network would try to get some compatibility with phones that their customers want.  I want to use Sony phones but can't because of an almost obsolete CDMA network.  Poll your customers.  See what they want.  I would seriously hate to leave Verizon because of your predilection to wanting to keep phones that not many people use.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nnlee76 We understand how important certain devices are to our customers. If we could carry every brand we would. At this time we don't have information to share regarding the Xperia XZ. However, this link will allow you to check to see if your phone is compatible. http://vz.to/2qBMc1r Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

DeloresK_VZW

0 Likes
MPV350
Enthusiast - Level 2

YES! I can verify that in fact this is possible. It took me SEVERAL hours dealing with tier 2 technical support (THANK YOU AUSTIN FOR NOT GIVING UP!!!!) and in actuality I had to do most of the legwork due to the fact that you have to manually set up the APN settings as mentioned earlier as well as switching the coverage to search for ONLY LTE. It was a very fickle and delicate process that sometimes did not make sense, but I am now up and running on LTE+ with my XZ Premium. I am at work and do not have access to the links I used to make this happen, but will update once I get home to my laptop. There were two very helpful websites that made this happen. I will also keep checking this forum to answer any questions I can. (I am in NO WAY a phone expert and to even say experienced is too strong... maybe lucky?)

0 Likes
MPV350
Enthusiast - Level 2

Only problem I am having now is getting VoLTE provisioning to stick in the hidden settings menu. I can toggle it on and it will stay, but as soon as I exit out of the settings or even use the "view all tabs" button on the bottom right of the phone it toggles it back off when I come back. Going to get with Verizon teir 2 tonight and see if they can assist. Just FYI... DO NOT waste your time going to a store. They are useless there and cannot do anything for you other than getting you to teir 2 support which you can do at home in comfort.

0 Likes
CapnSeahawk

Thanks MPV350 for being a willing crash test dummy.  You are awesome!  Please keep the info coming on your experience.  We are waiting...  hoping... wanting this awesome phone...

0 Likes