Re: Xperia Z on Verizon??
crzyazn_dude
Enthusiast - Level 3

Comparable? Psh No. Just kidding.

I would say right now, a comparable phone is the HTC DNA. It has a 5" screen, 1.5GHz quad core, wireless charging, 2GB of RAM and 16GB internal. The next comparable phone would be the soon-to-be-announced Samsung Galaxy S4 with rumored dimensions on 5" screen, 1.8GHz octa core. It may be announced in March with a release in April or May.

A step down from the Z/ZL are the Samsung Galaxy S3 (1.5GHz dual core) and LG Spectrum 2 (1.5GHz dual core, wireless charging).

Other than that, in my opinion, there aren't any other comparable phones to the Z/ZL.

Also, switching to AT&T may not be worth it depending on your situation. AT&T will have more compatible with global phones because of their network signal type but Verizon's network is still untouchable in speed, coverage and reliability. I consider switching a lot to AT&T but I don't see the value in it, at the moment. Unless Verizon royally screws something up, then I will make the switch, termination fee or not.

0 Likes
atkearns
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know i feel like everything else out there.. I would be sacrificing something. Either processor, screen res, or no expandable disk space.

Disk space is probably the easiest one to compromise on.

0 Likes
maxamillianm
Enthusiast - Level 1

Point blank there are so many more options for carriers now, you have to think that Verizon will HAVE TO carrier the Xperia Z to keep competitive.  ATT/Virgin Mobile might not be perfect but for $40-50 a month including a data plan I can get a this great phone (my wife calls it a husband proof phone). Verizon would be (sell the Stock) stupid not to cut a deal to carrier the Xperia Z.

Not applicable

crzyazn_dude wrote:

Oh, I guess I overlooked that row. I personally believe it is a typo because looking up the LTE bands on Wikipedia (I know it isn't an extremely reliable source) Verizon is on band 13 using the 700 MHz not band 4 which AT&T uses at 1700 MHz.

Actually Verizon owns band 4 and plans on using it for LTE in conjunction with the 2100 MHz spectrum. 1710-1775 for uplink and 2110-2155 for downlink. They will be rolling that out later this year on the 700 MHz rollout is finished.

atkearns
Enthusiast - Level 3

Where do you get your info?

0 Likes
erictrickster

I dropped by the Sony store here in NY yesterday and was told by a rep (obviously this isn't gospel, but...) that there are no plans for the Z to drop on Verizon.  The ZL is being released here in the US first, on T-Mobile then AT&T - done.  A "Z series" phone is slated for this summer, but again no known plans for it to come to Verizon.

I sincerely hope this is incorrect; I'm actually excited about the Z over anything else I've seen coming out (including the HTC One and the Galaxy IV), and I'd hate to have to ditch Verizon because they don't offer it.

I will hold out long enough to find out more on the rumored Motorola "X", but one way or another I intend to have a new phone this summer.  The only question is whether I'll be on a new carrier as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Erictrickster!

I can certainly understand your excitement for the Sony Experia ZL. I am sure that it will be a fantastic device. While I have no information for this device. You can keep up with latest device news here http://bit.ly/n5snpq. Have a great day!

0 Likes
Wppminc
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a current Verizon customer with 7 lines, 4 of which are up for upgrade now and will be out of contract very soon, I hope you are paying attention to what people want. The Motorola roll out was a huge disappointment. Instead of using the best technology available, they decided to reinvent the wheel so to speak. There are numerous high end smartphones on the horizon, most of which it is looking like Verizon may not carry. I paid exorbitant cancelation fees to leave Sprint due to the fact that I was paying for 4g when it was not available in my service area. I have enjoyed the coverage of the Verizon network at a premium cost for service and expect the same level of service when it comes to selection of my new phones. My annual spending with Verizon is in excess of $4000, while this may not matter in your hundreds of millions that you have coming in each year, I am sure that other customers will feel as I do. I hope that you are listening Verizon, or it may be a very Black Friday indeed for your company as I will go to a carrier that has the choices I expect in a high end smartphone, as I expect others will likely do as well.