Verizon's lack of support for Xperia Z3v is making me switch to T-mobile!
OJVV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here we are at the end of January 2016 and still no lollipop upgrade for the Z3v. I hold out no hope for the Z3v ever getting the marshmallow update. Thus, as of this week I am switching both lines, for my wife and I, over to t-mobile. I would have been okay if Verizon would actually man up, apologise to their customers and allow us to replace this abandoned phone with another at no cost, but that is just not going to happen. I have tried getting answers on their website and on their twitter (@Verizonsupport) but they don't even have the decency to answer their customers, and when they do it is some scripted "You are a valued customer" answer that just shows they did not even bother reading your question in the first place. I'll just go to a provider that will not STEAL my unused data and that lets me stream Netflix, Hulu and more without using my data! Where you at Verizon? Prove me wrong! I dare you!

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon's lack of support for Xperia Z3v is making me switch to T-mobile!
mama23dogs
Legend

With the exception of the Nexus 6, no previous carrier phone has received android M.  Those with unlocked samsung (non carrier) Galaxy s6 is top of the list to get Mashmallow, and still has not been released yet

Sony has pulled its support for some carrier models, your Z3v is one of the victims.  Sony isn't even sending lollipop for it. And it was never on the list for marshmallow.  http://mobilefreq.com/2015/10/07/xperia-marshmallow/

This is why I purchased my new phone from Google.  Nexus 6p is awesome, reasonable price and will update straight from Google.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you think about leaving our family, OJVV. We do not control when the software updates are going to be released. They are generated from the software developer, Google in the case of your device. We do offer an email update, so you can be aware of the latest device updates. You can sign up here. http://vz.to/1r9PSCb I would like to apologize to you that we have not received the update yet. As mama23dogs correctly pointed out, Sony would be the one to contact.
As for T-Mobile you state that they will not steal your unused data. Data stash is not sharable data. Data speeds drop to 2G (128 kbps - similar to dial--up) after the high-speed data allowance. As for streaming Netflix - T-Mobile’s free video offering reduces the quality of video dramatically: DVD quality (480p) vs. the HD quality (1080p) most smartphones offer today. It’s like streaming video services on a 3G network.
With that being said we truly want what is best for you, OJVV. We want you to stay with the most reliable network that does not slow your speeds down at any point. I do hope that you will continue to remain in the family.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

OJVV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the replies. The point I was trying to make here, though sneaky, was that the only way to get a proper answer is to threaten to leave. Your customer support needs a lot of work. I realize that you depend on the manufacturer for updates. Is there any chance then that we can get new (similar priced) phones and credited for what we already paid, or are we stuck with the Z3v till our contracts expire? Not all of us can afford to just buy a new phone! As for Sony, their reply was that they can not comment!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You own the phone.   You can sell it and pay off the Edge/device payments, and get a new device payment on another device.  Or use the money to replace the phone with one of your choice.

IF this kind of problem bugs you, cut out the middle man.  I just bought a Nexus 6p from Google, the nexus 6 is also updated to marshmallow and is about $300.  Or the Nexus 5x which is $350 for the 32 GBs model.

LOok at the Motorola style, pure edition also.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Blame Sony. They choose not to support the device. They choose not to make devices compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
zachariahpope
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elizabeth Hardersen Ann154 Ann(droid)154 You're completely wrong. VERIZON scrapped the Z3v back in August, not Sony... They did this despite being still heavily stocked with units... And Sony DID send Verizon Lollipop. I'm running it on my phone...Google Z3v lollipop. Consumers assumed Verizon discontinuing the Z3v was in preparation for the launch of the Z4v, but the Z4v never came. It is most likely that the Z3v was discontinued due to low sales... once Verizon sold enough units to cover the cost of carrying the device, they discontinued the device and sent their remaining stock back to Sony and I'm sure they sent some to Asurion's warehouses for use of CLNRs (certified like new replacement). The reason the Z4v was discontinued is due to Sony's announcement of the Z5. Verizon knew consumers would feel like they were going buying an old phone so they canceled the launch altogether. I'm still unsure as to why they didn't just rename the device the Z5v and sell it.. After all the Z3v is a rebranded hybrid of a Z2 and a Z3... Following the same logic that would make the Z5v a hybrid of the Z4 and Z5. This idea was likely considered, but Verizon knew that consumers were already unhappy with the Z3v's hybrid, outdated design... That coupled with their low Z3v sales.. I assume is what lead them to scrap the launch.

Gary  Drewes Wireless Customer Support, you're wrong about this update.  I realize you're just doing your job and you may only see our latest update (.44 KitKat) as it shows on your computers... But there are two Lollipop builds on the Internet [removed] ..  This is why there are so many angry threads on this topic.  These firmwares are both in Verizon Internal Testing [removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] The final lollipop build that wasn't released (and hasn't yet leaked) is 23.1.D.0.508. Release it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Just because there are leaks doesn't mean they are finished. The rims are different and require different things based on what is agreed upon. Things manufacturers don't tell you when things don't pass testing it goes back to them to fix it. Don't is TERRIBLE at fixing things. Like their Wi-Fi problems they have had since the original Z down to the Z5 line. I bet if they released the update and it broke things you guys would be first in line to blame the carrier simply because they released it saying they should do more testing. Can't have it both ways...

Sony scrapped they said it THEMSELVES. They pulled out of the US market as well for their unlocked and unbranded phones. They have 3rd party selling them now. Their sales in the US market has been bad because they treat it like a second rate market. They are always months behind releases from their other markets. Also when they update it always Japan/Europe first and months later US market.

Before you say anything. I have owned the ZL to the Z5 Premium(Recently imported) all unlocked and unbranded and I IMPORT them for better support sadly.

0 Likes
zachariahpope
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sony never once admitted to cancelling the Z3v... That was Verizon's move. Show me one source that says that was Sony's decision. Also, I will agree with your statement about leaked firmwares- you're right. They might have some bugs... That's why they often have several release candidate builds. I'm not an idiot, I know these things quite well actually... But I also know that there's nothing stopping Verizon from releasing that firmware except the fact THEY NO LONGER WISH TO SUPPORT THE DEVICE... And why is that, I wonder...? Because they, Verizon, again not Sony, are the ones that discontinued the device. The Z2 tablet has the same .485 and .509 lollipop builds that we do in Internal Testing, but it managed to get its final release firmware of .508 via OTA because it was supported longer than the Z3v was. I say was because it too was recently discontinued. There's nothing wrong with people urging them to update the device when it's not even reached it's two year mark... It's barely only reached one and was discontinued even before that.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Show me a device that the manufacturer finished the update and was never updated by the carrier.

0 Likes