Re: Sony z3v update questions
mama23dogs
Legend

Dont expect to see a CDMA version again and Sony has no intention of selling through carriers again.

SInce you are not running the carrier version, you have no idea what is, or is not, stable about the carrier version of lollipop.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I am going to give an example of a bug Sony hasn't fixed and it should be critical. WiFi...  All Z3 and above. Some people don't notice it but it's there. It causes battery drain quicker than T should, and it drops connections for WiFi from time to time, and once in a while drop mobile connection.

Seen it on my Z3 since I updated still not fixed. My Z3+(Z4) has the same problem out of the box, and my Z5 premium it's more prevailing than the previous two. Now imagine if that bug happens on Verizon with limited data plans. Think about the scrutiny and the "They are stealing my data and fix this bug" threads. Only to find out Sony still hasn't fixed it for months now. If I was Verizon and noticed it I wouldn't update devices until Sony fixes it.

twoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

The first few versions of Lollipop may have had bugs, but Sony straightened them out to update their flagship Z3 phones throughout the world. Verizon couldn't have asked Sony for the new updated Lollipop to give to us? Carriers always tweak the OS updates, because they either offer features through their networks that are unique to their business, or disable, or ask the manufacturers to remove features( like FM radio). Ultimately, it is Verizon's responsibility to offer features and updates that were promised by them when offering the phone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

People on Xperia Care would argue that.  There's a lot of people still having problems.  It just depends where you look.

I am going to say this again... over and over and over...

Manufacturers allow carrier modifications because THEY MAKE MONEY OFF IT.  It allows them to break even quicker and turn a profit.  Look at Google, Motorola, and Apple.  How can they do what no other manufacturer can't do?  They make these fake lines between devices to ensure they keep their profit margins. Carriers don't ask to disable features.  It's actually illegal for them to.  Manufacturers have buy ins to get certain features.  If the carrier doesn't buy into the feature doesn't mean they request it to be disabled.  It costs money for manufacturers to enable the radio of course they'll pass it off to carriers when they can.  In Europe it's active because 1 it's LAW, and 2 they pay more per device than we do so they might as well leave it in because they pay more.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

twoodjr

THe problem is Sony only coded 2 of the 4 versions of lollipop for the z3V.   The stable version 5.1.1 was never and will never be coded.

0 Likes
twoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would venture a guess that unlocked phones sold in America, and I am talking about the major brands, allow users to use FM radio. Those same phones, sold by Verizon, probably don't have that feature, because it allows the carrier to make money off of Data plans. Go to the Google Play Store, and try downloading the apps that use free FM radio, and a little message pops up that says, sorry, this app isn't available for your device. It happens.

0 Likes
twoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sony coded more for the Z3 and it's variants, because most of them, especially in Europe and other parts of the world, got the 5.1 version of Lollipop. So, does that mean Verizon can't go to Sony and request the 5.1 version for its customers? Agreements are signed between carriers and manufacturers when phones are to be sold, and probably contain language indicating what happens with the software updates, especially to the OS. So, Lollipop was a selling point when the Z3v was introduced. It then becomes the responsibility of the Carrier to ensure that the phone  recieves said update. If it was Sony's fault, then Verizon would have a breach of contract argument against Sony. But since Sony has released the stable 5.1 version of lollipop to the entire Z3 line, then I hold Verizon to the fire for not making any effort to ensure its customers get what was promised.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

twoodjr wrote:

I would venture a guess that unlocked phones sold in America, and I am talking about the major brands, allow users to use FM radio. Those same phones, sold by Verizon, probably don't have that feature, because it allows the carrier to make money off of Data plans. Go to the Google Play Store, and try downloading the apps that use free FM radio, and a little message pops up that says, sorry, this app isn't available for your device. It happens.

Nexus 5 No radio

Nexus 5X No radio

Nexus 6 No Radio

Nexus 6P No Radio

iPhone (all) No radio

Moto X all versions No Radio

There's a lot more out there that don't have FM radios on their own and they are unlocked and unbranded.  T-Mobile doesn't care and leaves it up to the manufacturer to add them or not on their own.  Some devices do have them and some don't on their own.  Xperia line for example does, but the LG and Samsung does not.  Like I said before some manufacturers would rather someone pay for it especially here in the states than to raise prices for devices.

0 Likes
twoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do Samsung, LG, HTC offer unlocked versions with radio? The original Z3 has FM radio, yet the Verizon version doesn't. That has to come from Big Red, and I don't know why Google or Apple allow phones without FM radio, unless it is an agreement with the carriers to not offer it( in Apple's case). The point I am making is that Z3 has FM radio, yet the Verizon variant does not.

0 Likes
twoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

As you say, T-Mobile leaves it up to the manufacturer. Verizon, ATT, Sprint, it's just a way to exact money from the data plan.

0 Likes