Re: mango update
hacksaw

no I don't sync with Sky Drive, that shouldn't matter.

0 Likes
hacksaw

Now I have tried to sync these docs on Sky Drive but I get a message"this type of file can't be uploaded to SkyDrive" so I have documents cluttering up my phone that I cannot delete? Again these are existing docs before Mango update and not on SkyDrive.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hacksaw, I am not showing any documentation stating that Mango no longer supports editing 2003 documents, but it is possible.  Did you try deleting the file from live.com like hopmedic suggested? Have you tried connecting the phone to your computer & deleting the documents using the device in USB mass storage? 

0 Likes
Rotary12

I'm running into the same issue since upgrading to Mango.  I can't even get the files off my phone to update the file type.  How do I mount the phone as a USB mass storage device?

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

hacksaw wrote:

Now I have tried to sync these docs on Sky Drive but I get a message"this type of file can't be uploaded to SkyDrive" so I have documents cluttering up my phone that I cannot delete? Again these are existing docs before Mango update and not on SkyDrive.

Seriously I can't imaging that you wouldn't be able to delete a document just because it's saved in an older format. Have you tried soft rebooting the phone?

ETA:

In case you need instructions on deleting an Office doc, they are here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/howto/wp7/office/office-mobile-faq.aspx

(see: "How do I delete a Microsoft Office document from my phone? ")

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rotary12 wrote:

I'm running into the same issue since upgrading to Mango.  I can't even get the files off my phone to update the file type.  How do I mount the phone as a USB mass storage device?

WP doesn't support this, at least not natively. You can sync your docs to Live / SkyDrive and then edit them from the PC. Once they are saved in the new format you should be able to sync them back.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

MarquiaF_VZW wrote:

Hacksaw, I am not showing any documentation stating that Mango no longer supports editing 2003 documents, but it is possible.  Did you try deleting the file from live.com like hopmedic suggested? Have you tried connecting the phone to your computer & deleting the documents using the device in USB mass storage? 

The documentation here on this page notes which Office documents are read-only on Mango:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-US/howto/wp7/office/office-mobile-faq.aspx

(see "Why can't I edit some Microsoft Office documents on my phone?")

0 Likes
Rotary12

Unfortunately, if the files aren't the correct type SkyDrive will reject them.  I REALLY want some of the old functionality back, like Active Sync and being able to perform file management.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rotary12 wrote:

Unfortunately, if the files aren't the correct type SkyDrive will reject them.  I REALLY want some of the old functionality back, like Active Sync and being able to perform file management.

I have to admit, I thought I was going to miss direct file management when I upgraded from my old Omnia to the Trophy but in all honesty I don't really miss it at all, especially with Sky Drive. There might have been one or two occasions since June where I wish the Trophy would support it but I've decided I'm willing to trade that feature off if it means a more secure phone that's less likely to have issues.

I understand you have a situation here with the old Office documents that there doesn't appear to be a workaround for so I'm sure it's frustrating. If your docs aren't too lengthy (and I can't imagine they are if they were originally created on your Trophy and you have no other copy of them on your PC) then perhaps you can copy and paste data from the old Office docs into a new Office doc on the phone.

ETA:

One other thing I just remembered. If you don't want to copy and paste your data into new documents, I believe you can also use DropBox to sync any files to your PC. There's an app in the marketplace, I think it's called BoxFiles.

0 Likes
Rotary12

I was able to send the files to my PC by sharing and selecting an email provider.  Then I could change the file type in Office 2010 and upload the SkyDrive.  Now I can edit on WP7.5.  Kind of a pain to go through all those steps.

I'm not real fond of "cloud computing", it reminds me of the bad old days when you bought time on a mainframe and paid for all that storage. 

0 Likes