iPhone or Win 7.5/8?
mwmccowan

I like apple's products (A4/5 processor), I am also starting to like Microsoft's 7.5/8 plan as well, but heading towards the apple products this time. I was really frustrated when Verizon came out with the tiny Windows Trophy because I might have given it a try, not liking android (feels cluttered to me).  When I looked at the Trophy in the store it was so small and Verizon didn't have anything else Win7, so no-go win7.   I'M TIRED OF ALL THESE TINY DEVICES!!!  

I'm looking forward to a large AMOLED display mobile phone (4.5"+) running a Snapdragon processor >1.5 GHz, with 32GB storage capacity. This will be a one device for everything.  I really like what Microsoft is doing in Windows 8 but I am an iPad and OS X Lion user who loves the functionality of Win7 (actually skinned my Fascinate with tile buttons functionality like Win7.) My wife and I are waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out, hoping they will create a larger device (fat chance!)

So in a nutshell, I am biased towards the SUPERFAST!/low powered chips from Qualcomm nothing faster or more efficient, but want a large display (that Verizon doesn't carry, I don't know why - maybe need to switch carriers).  What are you waiting for, iPhone 5 or Windows 7.5/8 phone? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone or Win 7.5/8?
calvin8714
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a Windows Phone 7 Trophy user, I think the phone is the perfect size-- big, but not too large and not too small, and the size isn't very thick. To each their own, I guess. I also have an iPod touch, so, in reality, I get the best of iPods (in my opinion, accessories) and Windows Phone (in my opinion, Zune Pass and XBox Live, both of which I have had subscriptions for almost three years now).

Verizon hasn't announced anything yet on new phones with Windows Phone, so all that can be guessed on is rumors of new phones, and that's all there is to it, they're just rumors. Apple also haven't announced anything on their refresh of the iPhone, although an announcement date should be coming up soon.

It's hard for me to say whether to go Windows Phone or iPhone for you. "Different strokes for different folks."

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

mwmccowan wrote:

I like apple's products (A4/5 processor), I am also starting to like Microsoft's 7.5/8 plan as well, but heading towards the apple products this time. I was really frustrated when Verizon came out with the tiny Windows Trophy because I might have given it a try, not liking android (feels cluttered to me).  When I looked at the Trophy in the store it was so smalli and Verizon didn't have anything else Win7, so no-go win7.   I'M TIRED OF ALL THESE TINY DEVICES!!!  

Personally, I haven't held the two devices next to each other, but I'm thinking my 3.8" Trophy is going to be slightly  larger than the 3.5" iPhone 4.  But my ruler may be a bit off.  I'll have to take it to be calibrated.

0 Likes
mwmccowan

If the new iPhone (iPhone5) is 3.5" in size, I'll reconsider.  I really want to find a replacement for the iPad (have only one device)  I might half to switch carriers, we'll see...

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

mwmccowan wrote:

I like apple's products (A4/5 processor), I am also starting to like Microsoft's 7.5/8 plan as well, but heading towards the apple products this time. I was really frustrated when Verizon came out with the tiny Windows Trophy because I might have given it a try, not liking android (feels cluttered to me).  When I looked at the Trophy in the store it was so small and Verizon didn't have anything else Win7, so no-go win7.   I'M TIRED OF ALL THESE TINY DEVICES!!!  

I'm looking forward to a large AMOLED display mobile phone (4.5"+) running a Snapdragon processor >1.5 GHz, with 32GB storage capacity. This will be a one device for everything.  I really like what Microsoft is doing in Windows 8 but I am an iPad and OS X Lion user who loves the functionality of Win7 (actually skinned my Fascinate with tile buttons functionality like Win7.) My wife and I are waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out, hoping they will create a larger device (fat chance!)

So in a nutshell, I am biased towards the SUPERFAST!/low powered chips from Qualcomm nothing faster or more efficient, but want a large display (that Verizon doesn't carry, I don't know why - maybe need to switch carriers).  What are you waiting for, iPhone 5 or Windows 7.5/8 phone? 

Windows Phone has an easier to use system with many more phone choices, better keyboard, touch-free sms by  voice (freemango update) and social integration. Unless you need an industry specific app that is iOS only the iPhone is the 2nd best choice (android a distant 3rd).... except in hype. Every windows phone sold to date has a screen better than iPhone 1-4 with it's small eye and finger strainer.

Apple wins the "hype" factor though and has marketed any nice phone as "iPhone".  It will be interesting to watch that fade.

If you want superfast get a Windows Phone. If you're waiting for "what is coming next" both are quantity unknowns on verizon although at&t already announced 3 fantastic new Windows Phone devices including a 3.7", 4.3" and 4.7". I'd expect iPhone to go maybe to 3.7-4"" and then larger only when Jobs no longer has any input.

Some people do like the small form factor and samsung and htc have 3.7" mango devices as a result.

0 Likes
ericreinhardt
Contributor - Level 1

Let me start by saying the iphone is a great phone and I did have the verizon iphone. After playing with the Trophy at the store I sold my iphone and got the trophy. Since than I have not regretted it one bit. Give it a try if you dont like like return within the 14 days and get the iphone but I think you will love the trophy. Forget about after the Mango update. I see within the past few days Microsoft has been doing a little more ads which is great to see. 

0 Likes
slimster

mwmccowan wrote:

I'm thinking exactly what you are. And this is what i think- We just have to wait and see what verizon releases. I really like the news wp7, but judging by verizons history, I seriously doubt we will see anything good come for us to buy in the wp7-8 devices.. The iphone5 should be a good inprovment over the iphone4 too, but it is too early to make up our minds, until we see what they release. Also something to take into consideration- steve jobs is no longer in charge at apple. so there is a good chance that their quality will start to slip. He was a big part of the quality control at apple and that is why they have good hardwear and apps without viruses. My addvice is just wait and see what gets released before you make up your mind. Or just switch carriers and then you will have a much better selection of phones..

0 Likes
slimster

ericreinhardt wrote:

Let me start by saying the iphone is a great phone and I did have the verizon iphone. After playing with the Trophy at the store I sold my iphone and got the trophy. Since than I have not regretted it one bit. Give it a try if you dont like like return within the 14 days and get the iphone but I think you will love the trophy. Forget about after the Mango update. I see within the past few days Microsoft has been doing a little more ads which is great to see. 

The mango update should have been out months ago.. the only reason it is not is because no one is working on it for the trophy.. I read that WP7 and the hardwear requirments were supposed to eliminate the delayed/no upgrade problems. but judging by what has happened to the trophy, I do not think it is true..

at least with the iphone you get a universal update for all the devices, and if your device can not be upgraded because it is outdated you will know right away. but even then you are still happy with your device becuase it works well..

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

slimster wrote:

The mango update should have been out months ago.. the only reason it is not is because no one is working on it for the trophy.. I read that WP7 and the hardwear requirments were supposed to eliminate the delayed/no upgrade problems. but judging by what has happened to the trophy, I do not think it is true..

at least with the iphone you get a universal update for all the devices, and if your device can not be upgraded because it is outdated you will know right away. but even then you are still happy with your device becuase it works well..

Apparently, you have never read any news about Mango.  "The only reason it is not is because no one is working on it for the Trophy"???  The Mango build for Trophy has already been leaked.  It is done.  It is up to Verizon now to determine how soon *after any Microsoft date restrictions that may or may not exist* to deliver Mango to us, which will at least in part be up to their testing of the OS (and VZW apparently does the most rigorous testing of all the providers in the US).  Oh, and I have been running Mango on my phone since June.

Universal update?  That's what Mango is.  An update for ALL Windows Phone devices.  No Windows Phone will fail to run it.  How much more universal can you get.

Oh, and for the person who wanted a larger iPhone, all the rumor sites I'm reading say that they believe Apple will keep the 3.5" (smaller than Trophy) screen.

0 Likes
ThisIsNiceStuff
Enthusiast - Level 3

Best advice, wait till the end of the October and here is why...

-October 3rd: iphone 5 is being announced.

-Middleish of October: Android will be previewing their new version of Droid called Ice Cream Sandwich.

-Oct 26th: Microsoft and Nokia will reveal the "sea ray" phone for WP7 at Nokia World.

**Additionally, most major phone leaks for droid or WP7 should be out by this point as they can be ready for the holiday season.

This should give the informed person, a good idea of the new hardware and software options out there. Im going to compare all and let the best system win.

Personally, Im interested in the Nokia WP7 device but if its a dud or if Verizon fails to pick it up, ill be looking at the other 2.

0 Likes