What Happened to the Silent Button in 8.1?
ReallyMadCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nokia Lumia 822

Before the upgrade to 8.1 I could press the top of the screen of the phone and a button would appear to silence or unsilence the phone.  After the 8.1 upgrade the button appears to be gone.  The only way to silence the ringer is to use the volume button to reduce everything to zero.  Then I have to use the volume button to increase the sound to a point I can hear it.

Is there a way to get the silence button back? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What Happened to the Silent Button in 8.1?
bbjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

8.1 added "Quiet Hours" to the Notification area. It is much easier to use, and can be set up to silence the phone automatically under certain circumstances.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Just tap the volume button and once the levels appear tap on the number for the ringer. It will automatically switch to vibrate and when you tap it again it will go back to the level you set it to prior.

0 Likes
ReallyMadCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I tap the volume button and tap the number for the ringer I get two scroll bars -- one for the ringer + notifications and one for Media + Apps.  I have to set them both to zero.

Windows 8 was much better -- a single tap to silence the phone.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Like I said, tap the numbers to switch to vibrate; tap again to return to normal volume.

0 Likes
ReallyMadCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Like I said Windows 8 was easier.  One click to silince the phone.

The process you describe works but it is more complicated and requires more user action than the Windows 8.0 OS required.

Once again Microsoft has forgotten the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle.

Please note that I have been using Microsoft OS since the early DOS days (which Microsoft licensed but did not develop).

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Granted they added an extra click. Still beats turning down the volume completely.  Suggest you request an enhancement for Windows Phone 10, Feature Suggestions: Hot (68171 ideas) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

I too have used IBM and Microsoft DOS back in day

0 Likes
ReallyMadCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 3

>Feature Suggestions: Hot (68171 ideas) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Surely you're kidding.  Has Microsoft responded to the tens of thosusnad of requests to turn off the Bing button?

I have issues on my Surface Pro 3 that Microsoft support said they had developers working on six months ago with no ETA in sight.  If they don't fix known bugs in their hardware what makes you think they are going to add features?

Microsoft went into the hardware business without understanding they would have to actually support it.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Little disgruntled are aren't you

Hey if you can't except an extra step to silence your phone that's on you.  People complained they couldn't control their ringer and system sounds separately and Microsoft heard the complains and they fixed it.  So now you have an extra step to since either or or both now instead of one button for both.  Over sight of not having a silence button possibly.

Uservoice is based on number of ides's that have high votes and where it fits on their roadmap.  I don't except much enhancements to Windows/Phone 8 being they are focused on Windows 10.  For your issue reported six months ago might be a harder issue to fix or fixing your issue might break something else important.  This always happens with development; fix something at the same time break something else.

If you haven't, join the Windows Insider Program and voice all your problems there.

0 Likes
bbjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

8.1 added "Quiet Hours" to the Notification area. It is much easier to use, and can be set up to silence the phone automatically under certain circumstances.

0 Likes