Re: Ways we can prompt the WP7 platform
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

I'm in IT as well, and would have to agree with you on everything you've stated.  Well put, Boe.

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

And the EVO will also weigh down that same pocket in your dockers with 30 more grams of weight.

My point was, by squishing the phone like a pancake you aren't doing anything about it's weight.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello chudster94,  

I'm very excited to hear your enthusiasm about your device!  You can impact your Twitter audience if you have an account by following us @VZWSupport!

Thank you all for you feedback!

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

chudster94 wrote:

And the EVO will also weigh down that same pocket in your dockers with 30 more grams of weight.

My point was, by squishing the phone like a pancake you aren't doing anything about it's weight.

So your point is your pants can't support 30 grams?   What are they made of?  How many grams do you weigh?

If weight is your point - you'll be glad to know the Samsung Galaxy S II which has a 4.3" screen, a 1650mah battery, BT 3.0, 4G connectivity, a faster processor, is extremely slim and is nearly 30 grams lighter than the trophy!  With hardware like that, your pants might stay up or you won't have to worry about gravity tearing holes in your pocket as your phone hurtles towards the earth.   So if they put WP7 on a hardware platform like the the Galaxy SII we'd have some sweet hardware and you won't have to buy new slacks.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

boe wrote:

chudster94 wrote:

So your point is your pants can't support 30 grams?   What are they made of?  How many grams do you weigh?

If weight is your point - you'll be glad to know the Samsung Galaxy S II which has a 4.3" screen, a 1650mah battery, BT 3.0, 4G connectivity, a faster processor, is extremely slim and is nearly 30 grams lighter than the trophy!  With hardware like that, your pants might stay up or you won't have to worry about gravity tearing holes in your pocket as your phone hurtles towards the earth.   So if they put WP7 on a hardware platform like the the Galaxy SII we'd have some sweet hardware and you won't have to buy new slacks.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hardware comparison between the Android phones and Windows Phone brings to mind a comment that I've heard Stephen Elop (Nokia CEO) make several times.  Something along the lines of, "The problem with Windows Phone is that there isn't a hardware manufacturer putting its best efforts on WP7.  That's where Nokia comes in - we are devoting all of our resources to making the best Windows Phones."  Not a direct quote, but a summary of what he's said.

Personally, I very much look forward to Nokia coming to market with WP7, and hope and pray that they come back to the CDMA game for those of us without good GSM coverage.

On the bright side, Apple will now be subsidizing Windows Phones.  In a settlement with undisclosed details, Nokia and Apple have dropped their complaints against each other, Apple will pay Nokia a one-time settlement in addition to continued royalties on GSM technology.  LOL!  https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwmpoweruser.com%2Fnow-apple-will-also-help-pay-for-win...

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

boe wrote:

chudster94 wrote:

Seriously did you think I meant that my pants can't support the weight? Because if so this discussion is totally pointless. I thought it was obvious we were talking about comfort and convenience but apparently we aren't.

You don't mind carrying around a tablet in your pocket. That's fine. I prefer not to.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

opmaco71 wrote:

I agree. I Love this OS platform. Everyone I know, knows I'm a gadget guy and usually will pick the latest and greatest. I show it off every chance I get. I get all kinds of teenagers staring at it when I show it off. My kids friends are the most impressed and say I should become a sales rep...lol. The Verizon staff are very limited and only really know stuff about Android. Very disappointing.

Thanks to everyone for your continued feedback and interest for WP7.  Also, I appreciate your opinion Opmaco71. However, we are not limited in pointing you in the right direction for checking into any official news about new software programs, services and product updates. A good available suggestion offered is to sign up for email updates. This avenue is opened as a valid resource of outgoing communication to have official new information. Others are always welcome to comment in other ways about having more information that what was released. I would caution someone to always verify the information by comparing it to what was officially released by Verizon Wireless via our website and/or the email updates. 

The link is: http://search.vzw.com/?market=53520&q=email+alerts&p=null&ss=null&b2eFlag=N

0 Likes
boe
Enthusiast - Level 2

chudster94 wrote:

Seriously did you think I meant that my pants can't support the weight? Because if so this discussion is totally pointless. I thought it was obvious we were talking about comfort and convenience but apparently we aren't.

You don't mind carrying around a tablet in your pocket. That's fine. I prefer not to.

I agree this discussion is pointless but I thought I'd try to bring a bit of reality to a fanboy.  To be clear, I am a fan of WP7 despite its flaws but I am not a fanboy who sticks my hands over my ears saying "nya nah nah - I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when someone points out any flaw in it. I attempted to discuss features that would probably bring far more attention to WP7 than a person saying how much they liked their device when many would consider the hardware subpar.   When I suggested a bigger screen among many other improvements you said that would be too large to get into your daisy dukes.   I suggest that a thinner large screened device takes up the same volume so you said it is the weight that is really the problem.   I suggested you could get a larger screen with a lighter weight than the trophy with a faster processor, BT 3.0, 4G connectivity and more battery life and then it was about you not wanting a larger screen because you don't like large screens.   I might as well have a discussion with my girlfriend about why when we both do the same thing and she complains to me that I'm doing it and I point out to her she's doing it - she says "that's different" and that is supposed to be a definitive argument.    It is OK for you to want ghetto hardware; I'm just suggesting if WP7 is going to gain traction, flagship hardware is far more likely to get anyon'es attention.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/will-mango-move-windows-phones-from-so-so-to-sexy/9561

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

As I have said more than once, I don't want a larger screen because I don't need one and I don't want more size and more weight to my phone. It is a MOBILE device afterall. If wanting a phone that I can carry around comfortably makes me a fanboy than I guess I am.

Having said this I do realize that some people need to have the biggest of everything in order to make up for size deficiencies in other areas.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

better hardware and more choices. period. android devices outsell every other OS because there are literally dozens of them to choose from (over the 3 main carriers). even the blackberry has at least a few options on each carrier. admitedly, i'm not at all familiar with windows phones, but the only way it will compete is if there are more devices manufactured....and yes, larger ones. people read specs. they may not know what any of it means, but they will still buy the phone with more RAM, more gb's, larger screen size, etc, etc. they will also want 4g (even if they don't realize they aren't in a 4g area....lol). that's just the nature of humans. i think winmo got off to a good start by adding so many apps so fast, but hasn't windows phones been around for years? i just don't see them competing with androids. i'm not a hater (although i am a huge fan of android), but from what i've seen there's no turn by turn nav, speech recognition, etc.....that is stock on android and easily available with iphone. it sounds like mango will add many features that it is lacking though. is mango the updated OS....or what exactly is it? it's just my 2 cents....but i do think they will have to manufacture 4.3 inchscreens and put 8 megapixel cams in....hd quality recording, etc, etc. there are just 2 many choices when you go to look at droids and they have all of these. i personally don't always think bigger is better.....but i feel the average consumer does, and when they compare specs, they will go with the device that shows higher numbers...lol. put out 4 or 5 options per carrier and i could see the windows platform making a little dent in the market share.

0 Likes