Re: Verizon, please say something. Will we be able to use a lumia 950?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not off topic. I'm telling how it is even if it bursts this bubble of misinformation you seem to have formed around the idea of a new Windows phone.

Verizon Wireless won't tell you anything about a phone until they official announce if they are carrying it. As the specifications of the phone you referenced doesn't even have the proper radio frequencies to be compatible with Verizon Wireless, I doubt Verizon Wireless will ever say anything about the device.

On the other side of the coin, Motorola and Google have announced and released unlocked phones that are compatible with the Verizon Wireless network. Verizon Wireless hasn't said a thing about these phones because they have no say in where they are sold or for how much or if the customers are allowed to activate these Motorola and Google phones. The reason is the FCC Block C rules. Motorola and Google made those phones compatible and followed the Block C rules. Both Motorola and Google are selling their phones from their respective websites. Those same phones will activate on the Verizon Wireless network without issues.

The Lumia 950 doesn't have the same options. It is not compatible and it definitely doesn't have the frequencies governed by the Block C rules.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mama23dogs
Legend

Ann154  has given you accurate information, and as much as we are going to get. 

THe rest of the world, for the most part, uses GSM technology.  In the USA Verizon and Sprint are the largest CDMA carriers. 

All phones contain GSM bands, but not all contain the CDMA bands.  There has been a lot of misinformation about the 950.  Keep searching the Internet for articles, know that some are slanted, some are flat out wrong. 

VErizon has a reputation of saying nothing unless it's good news.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Me personally,  I don't see why threads keep being started over this. The phone is not in its present form compatible with verizon. The original iphone weren't compatible with verizon. There have been OTHER phones not compatible with verizon. If the phone is that important to you, switch carriers! Quite simple.

0 Likes
TheRealPaul
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Snapdragon 808 and 810 chipsets the phones use are capable of CDMA.  I do not know why it is not listed on the spec sheets from Microsoft, nor do I know if Verizon has found that the phone does not meet their standards.  There are a lot of rumors and speculation and I don’t want to speculate, so I asked Verizon and Microsoft to both explain in their forums.

The market has changed in the past ~10 years and what happened when the first iPhone launched is not really that relevant anymore.  The Market should decide, that is what the FCC regulations are all about. That means Yes, people should switch if they can’t get the phone they want.  But we are not being given clear answers to our questions and therefore can’t make informed decisions.

So far most of you responding just seem to be angry at me for asking that my question be answered.  Most of you do not seem to be interested in the phone and the result is not going to affect you, but you still feel the need to tell me what to do.  I simply want Verizon to give me a straight answer, which none of you can do for them anyway.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The chipset might be compatible, but the antennas (hardware) are not. The software is written without the CDMA support. Microsoft didn't pay for the testing and certification to make it compatible with Verizon Wireless.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/if-the-lumia-950-and-950-xl-wont-work-on-verizon-thats-micros...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Verizon, please say something. Will we be able to use a lumia 950?
Luckyshot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:

The chipset might be compatible, but the antennas (hardware) are not. The software is written without the CDMA support. Microsoft didn't pay for the testing and certification to make it compatible with Verizon Wireless.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/if-the-lumia-950-and-950-xl-wont-work-on-verizon-thats-micros...

That article did not say the antennas were not compatible, just that they would need to be compatible.  The author didn't know:

"Microsoft would still have to make sure the antennas supported all the right frequencies and get the right FCC certification..."

It also didn't say the software doesn't provide for CDMA support, it just says that the current specs don't list CDMA.  Having coded applications, I can tell you that just because the software doesn't actively support CDMA doesn't mean it can't be activated with the changing of a single variable or the uncommenting of a few lines of source code.  I can't imagine the CDMA coding would be hugely different from phone to phone so it is my guess the software does support it and it may or may not be activated at this time.

And finally, from what I understand until there is a manufactured useable phone, they can't be certified.  Microsoft doesn't even appear to have FCC certification of any kind for the 950/950XL.  That would be what to look for.  If Microsoft intends to certify the 950/950XL for use on Verizon, then they will get FCC certification for the appropriate frequencies.  Remember though, the FCC certification is only to indicate that device isn't bleeding over into other frequencies and so forth, it is not certification that it works on the carrier's system.  Microsoft would still have to get third party certification that it was compatible with Verizon...which requires a line manufactured phone, not a prototype.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both the 950 and 950XL have gone through the FCC certification already. The FCC ID for the 950 has a Grantee code of "PYA" and product code "RM-1104" and the 950XL has the same Grantee code with Product code of "RM-1085".

Luckyshot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good to know, have you looked at the approved frequencies yet. Not what MS lists, but was the FCC lists.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes all the Verizon ones and a handful of other carrier specific ones are missing as well. Also remember CDMA needs a 3rd party approval and that would be Qualcomm as they also hold licensing and patents for CDMA.

I will say it again. This device is just for Windows 10 and nothing more. They need to get Windows 10 out and show what it can do. The next phone after this is their big push and Block C rules will be put use with their Surface Phone.

0 Likes
Luckyshot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, that answers that.  No 950 for Verizon.  I kinda felt the same way about the 950 being a test platform for W10 if there actually is a Surface phone in the pipeline.  If that doesn't exist, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do.  I know I'll have some decisions to make if I don't see something decent coming by then end of Q1 2016.

0 Likes