Text Messaging Issues
bnh2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've encountered many issues with SMS and MMS on my HTC 8X. I've been to Verizon Store, Microsoft Store, called HTC, and called Verizon several times for help but issue is still not fixed. Each time I contacted support, they said that these were not known issues however I see other users reporting same issues in person and on these forums. Usually after the support does more investigating online, they realize it is a known issue.

1) Group text was a recently added new feature for HTC 8X but it still does not work consistently for me even though I enabled it in settings.  I rarely receive group messages and if I ever do, I only receive one or two messages from the entire thread. I do not receive any error messages.

2) I do not receive picture messages at all. No error messages are shown.  This has been occuring for several months and I never realize when I miss a picture message from a contact. I have to remind my contacts to e-mail me pictures instead of sending me via MMS. I talked to an associate in the Verizon Store and we tried to send test pictures from display phones. My phone did not receive the pictures.

3) I encounter the "Can't send text" error message that many other HTC 8X users reported after GDR2 update. When this "can't send" issue occurs, I have to toggle airplane mode several times or restart phone in order to send messages again. This happens at least once a day.

Will there be any fix soon for messaging? I've been waiting for month for these bugs to be fixed.

Labels (1)
Re: Text Messaging Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi bnh11,

Wow! The issue listed do indeed sound shocking! Your device is expected to work 24/7. Do you mind sharing a bit of information? Has this device ever been replaced? When you contacted HTC, what did they advise? Please share details, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
bnh2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, the device has not been replaced. When I contacted HTC, they investigated for several minutes and said that it is a known issue. They said that it's a known issue but they do not know what causes it. They asked me to inform them of any workarounds or fixes that I discover myself.

I received the GDR3 update a couple days ago. My issues #1 and 2 now seem to be fixed. I am now consistently receiving picture messages and group messages from my contacts. But issue #3 is still happening. Sometimes I have to attempt multiple times to send a message even when I have full service.

GDR3 also introduced a new call volume bug to my phone: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1023844

0 Likes
kinglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to add credibility and urgency to this post by adding that I am having the EXACT same problems and have been given the same run-around from Verizon for months now. They told me that the issues would be fixed when the phone update came out, however, from the above poster and my own experience, the update came out and the issues are still not resolved.

Please keep us updated on this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kinglin,

I am sad to hear about the problems with your phone. Please give us a description of the exact problems with your phone. Please let us know what troubleshooting you have done so far. Keep us posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kinglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

In sum, when the phone goes into an area of no cell service (e.g. subway or tunnel) and then comes back into an area of cell service, it is impossible to send a text message without doing one of the following:

-     cycling airplane mode.

-     power cycling the phone.

Strangely enough, when the phone comes out of the subway into full cell service, you can RECEIVE texts messages, MAKE and RECEIVE calls with no problems. It is strictly limited to the sending of text message where the phone struggles. Specifically, you will get an error message "Can't send; try again" to which you can press infinitely, it will not work without cycling airplane mode or restarting the phone.

risrani
Enthusiast - Level 1

Would like to add to this, I am seeing the same issue with the cant send text messages. Happens everytime I go into my buildings elevator or subway.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kinglin,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like your device needs a refresh! What phone are you using? Is this the only time it's happening when you are leaving a no service area back to a full service area? Is it happening at random in full service areas? Keep me posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW

0 Likes
kinglin
Enthusiast - Level 2

HI,

The phone I am using is the HTC 8x. IT only happens at described above, when leaving full service and coming back into full service.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there kinglin,

Thanks for the additional information. Signal strength can be tricky in elevators due to it being in the interior of the building. I rarely get service in elevators and when I do I am impressed. It can also be tricky in underground subway stations since they are indeed underground.

The service works well outside of the elevators and subway stations correct?

NicholasB_VZW

0 Likes