No Mobile hotspot or Broadband Connect for Windows Phone 7
Gremlin2011

I stopped by my local retailer to pickup the latest catalog to verify if Verizon will actually sell any Windows Phone 7 devices, and it does show the HTC Trophy.  Curiously though, per the catalog it's the only phone that doesn't support either Mobile Broadband Connect or Mobile Hotspot. 

Anybody have any thoughts how we can tether it to a PC?  I can do it with my Samsung Omnia running WinMo 6.1 and it works great.  I hate to have to give up this capability.

It seems like Verizon has always found a way to cripple every phone I've ever had from them!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Mobile hotspot or Broadband Connect for Windows Phone 7
primortal
Master - Level 1

Tether/hotspot either comes in either two ways; natively with the OS, which with Windows Phone 7 OS it doesn't.  Or a 3rd party writing an application to allow the phone to tether/hotspot.  Not sure if Microsoft will allow an application on the Markeplace to allow the phone to tether or act as a hotspot.

It's questionable if this feature will show up in the Mango release.  Will find out on May 24 :smileyhappy:

Verizon kills features on phones that don't provide them some sort of revenue :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is the king of cripple... it's unlikely they'd allow teathering on WP7 until they eliminate their "unlimited" data plans on 3G or create "software" to bill you more for that feature.

You can always go to at&t and focus

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/11/11/enable-usb-tethering-on-the-samsung-omnia-7-and-samsung-fo...

0 Likes
texanator
Enthusiast - Level 3

chinch wrote:

Verizon is the king of cripple... it's unlikely they'd allow teathering on WP7 until they eliminate their "unlimited" data plans on 3G or create "software" to bill you more for that feature.

You can always go to at&t and focus

http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/11/11/enable-usb-tethering-on-the-samsung-omnia-7-and-samsung-fo...

I would have gone to AT&T, but they already killed their unlimited data plans.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

primortal wrote:

Tether/hotspot either comes in either two ways; natively with the OS, which with Windows Phone 7 OS it doesn't.  Or a 3rd party writing an application to allow the phone to tether/hotspot.  Not sure if Microsoft will allow an application on the Markeplace to allow the phone to tether or act as a hotspot.

It's questionable if this feature will show up in the Mango release.  Will find out on May 24 :smileyhappy:

Verizon kills features on phones that don't provide them some sort of revenue :smileyhappy:

Microsoft will not allow a third party app such as this in the marketplace.  However, if you have a developer account, and your phone is unlocked, you can find the information over at www.xda-developers.com to do this.  Last time I checked, it was only working with HTC phones, and only tethered, not wifi, but better than nothing.

Fortunately for us on VZW, we'll have the HTC brand.  Fortunately for me, I already have a dev account (and can't wait to unlock my phone - I've got an app to test!).

0 Likes
learjeff

My HTC Imagio (Win Phone 7) came with a "Modem Link" app.  I can run VZAccessManager on my computer and connect to the phone via USB or bluetooth.  Haven't completely tested it yet, but it connects and looks like it's working.  I have hotspot enabled on my plan.  I believe I should also be able to set up my laptop to allow others to connect through it.

You'd think there'd be a better way.

I don't understand why MS wouldn't want Win7 phones to work as hotspots, just as Android & iPhones do.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

It appears that WP 7.5 (mango) supports hot spot, http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/08/windows-phone-mangos-wi-fi-hotspot-secret.ars  Just need the hardware to support it :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

Mango (released to verizon) offers hotspot. The Samsung focus offered USB tether from day 1 last Nov.

Verizon is the king of cripple (remember when they disabled GPS chips and forced HTC and co. to remove wifi on smartphones) so all bets are off what verizon will allow.

In all honesty with the price of hotspot you're better off buying a mifi which will save battery, allow you to use the phone at the same time and laptops, etc.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I cannot see why VZW would "cripple" that feature when they allow it on driod phones.  If they do choose the route of crippling the feature on WP7 phones, than it would make a good class action lawsuit being that they allow it for one OS and not the other :smileyhappy:  

0 Likes