Looks like Verizon decided not to allow us to have Internet Sharing/Tethering Feature in Mango!!!
thejester77
Contributor - Level 1

Looks like Verizon decided not to allow us to have Internet Sharing/Tethering feature enabled in Mango... Should have known better with there new data pricing schemes!!!

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/09/27/exploring-windows-phone-7...

Here's the articile that mentions the new feature, if your carrier (in this case Verizon) decides to enable it.

TheJester77

:smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Looks like Verizon decided not to allow us to have Internet Sharing/Tethering Feature in Mango!!
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

are you referrng to free? or paid as in the hotspot?

its never really been free

0 Likes
Re: Looks like Verizon decided not to allow us to have Internet Sharing/Tethering Feature in Mango!!
mooreshelby
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its not as simple as turning it on or off. The hardware has to support it, and you have to have a driver for the hardware. Mango supports this feature for new hardware but they have not yet tested a driver for original hardware. It could still happen, but then again Verizon is going to be sure to charge you a premium for the feature.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

this was i n windows moble 5.1, 6, 6.5

wonder why they took it out

hardware back then had no issue

if you had a wifi capable phone you were all set

but verizon will charge you for it

0 Likes
thejester77
Contributor - Level 1

Here's right from the articile:

First up is Internet Sharing, which you might know better as “tethering”. Starting today our hardware partners and mobile operators have the option to let you use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot so you can stay connected anywhere there’s a data connection. If this feature is enabled on your phone and by your carrier, you’ll see an additional “Internet Sharing” item under Settings. It’s pretty cool stuff and a feature that I’m really looking forward to using – I spend a LOT of time on the road and I hate it when I’m not connected, so this is a great option for me. And since Internet sharing lets you connect up to 5 devices at a time, I’ll be able to keep all of the PCs I travel with online when I’m on the go. I should note that this feature will only be available on new Windows Phones that have radios capable of broadcasting a connection; if you update your existing phone to 7.5, it won’t give it the ability to use Internet Sharing. (Although it would be cool if it did, right?)

So, as you can see/read... it's up to hardware partners and mobile operators to let us use this option.  I highly doubt the problem is on HTC side; since like another member mentioned that the older OS WinMobile 5-6.5 had this feature available.

I know the hidden wi-fi issue was a Microsoft issue which they finally threw the towel in and now allow us to use Hidden Wi-Fi Networks which is the only way I allow my network.  But Internet Sharing via my own Wi-Fi connection should be up to me to decide and not the Mobile Carrier if we are not using our Data Connection/Plan in this case Verizon.

If what Microsoft is saying is true, they have this option enabled on the OS side and given the final right to the Hardware Partner (HTC) or Mobile Carrier (Verizon) to allow this.  I leaning toward Verizon, since HTC even came out with an App when the Trophy was released to allow Hidden Wi-Fi Networks, but Verizon has this feature disabled with the patched OS version.  So I am thinking that it's Verizon once again that has this feature disabled behind the scenes...

I hope that there will be a fix or an update or some kind of patch or hidden commands that will allow us into the phones OS to enable this feature... It's using our own Wi-Fi connection and not Verizon's data connection, so we should have all the rights in the world to tether any Wi-Fi connection we have.

Do you all agree???

TheJester77

:smileysad: :smileyhappy: :smileysad:

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Came across this article on WPCentral.  Specifically look at the last paragraph.

Two things will determine if it is available--the chipset of the device and if the carrier wants it. The chipset in question is the Broadcom 4329 which is found in the newer Windows Phones. Specifically, drivers are need for it to work with that chipset. But ah! you say, what about that Samsung Focus we saw? A lot of our older hardware also has the Broadcom 4329 on board, but not the correct, tested drivers. Why?

Microsoft had to make a choice: delay Mango to test the drivers on older devices, or ship now and release a patch later to enable. They obviously went with the former. But even Vodafone is aware of this when they said recently on their blog "Regarding Wireless Hotspot, it isn’t integrated in the initial release of Mango however it may be deployed at a later date." That's exactly the situation--it's basically up in the air at this point for certain phones.

I couldn't find anything specific that states the Trophy has the Broadcom 4329 chip on it.

0 Likes
jsmith1085
Enthusiast - Level 1
They didn't take it out of the OS. WP7 was a completely clean break from Windows Mobile. Whole new code base, nothing taken. They made a good choice, I'm sure we'll see tethering eventually.
0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Oh, we'll see it.  Just give Verizon time to figure out how they can charge for it, and ensure that we can't get it free (like we could with Windows Mobile), and they'll roll it out.

In Windows Mobile, it was not free, but there were a couple apps that allowed it to be used without Verizon knowing about it.  It has been avalable for a fee.  But in Windows Phone, the OS is more locked down, {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

0 Likes
dragunovguy

I dumped a Blackberry 8300 series for the HTC Trophy back in June because the Blackberry was failing. In the course of picking out a replacement I was mislead by the sales person at the VZ store. He had a Trophy, showed me quite a few of the cool new features, and ASSURED me that the Trophy would do everything my Blackberry did and do it better. While I like Microsoft Windows Phone 7, I am very dissapointed at the pawcity and quality of apps for this phone. Most of them are so bad I wouldn't install them on my kid's phone, much less mine.

The missing tethering is especially irritating. I travel up to dozen times a year and always loved the ability to use the Blackberry as a modem. I used VZ Access Manager and just turned the service off if I was not traveling in a particular month. The additional $20 was worth it when I was on the road.

I used Ascendo Data Vault for secure information such as credit card info and passwords. Unfortunately Ascendo only makes it for the Blackberry and the iPhone. And so far I have not found a data vault/locker program for WP 7 that will allow me to import any kind of file from Ascendo DataVault and have it read in correctly.

I have a friend in Europe that can get almost any phone he wants, do pretty much anything he wants to with it, and not pay nearly as much, in equivalent Euros, as we pay for lousy service and tyrannical carriers that decide on the whim of boffin whether you can use a particular feature on your phone.

My family has four phones with Verizon, two with data plans. If I could afford to eat the termination fees I would seriously consider cancelling every contract I have with Verizon and going with another carrier. But, I'm sure that I would be punished for that in some way other than the fees. 

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used Ascendo Data Vault for secure information such as credit card info and passwords. Unfortunately Ascendo only makes it for the Blackberry and the iPhone. And so far I have not found a data vault/locker program for WP 7 that will allow me to import any kind of file from Ascendo DataVault and have it read in correctly.

I highly recommend Sky Wallet for storing bank and CC info on WP7. It supports 256-bit encryption and has a neat little desktop companion. Although it doesn't support importing from Ascendo, it does support text file import / export. I'd be surprised if you couldn't export your Ascendo data out to some sort of external format for use in another app.

0 Likes