Re: Is Verizon killing Microsoft or forcing loyal customers to spend more money?
Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Elector wrote:

Phones have come a long way. However the basic premise is still make and receive calls.

Sure they do more today because technology advances everyday. So they are little computers, GPS devices, fax machines and the list goes on. I understand all that.

What I cannot understand is if you purchase a device and it worked on day one, why now waste time constantly hollering about any updates. Personally I don't care if my phone gets updated. If I get one then yippee.

However I am not wasting my life complaining about not getting one, or getting one faster, or if AT&T or any other carrier has released it. I also cannot fathom the speculation on why the update was sent back to Microsoft.

OK so it looks like you haven't really fully embraced smartphones. That's fine. As a result, your thinking will never change ("it's the same as when you bought it what's the big deal") and we'll just never see eye to eye on updates.

Regarding "wasting my life" OK wow I never thought you were a Richard until that. I didn't agree with you a lot but just wow. Thanks. I could say you're "wasting your life" complaining about people complaining.

Re: Is Verizon killing Microsoft or forcing loyal customers to spend more money?
Not applicable

Verizon announces Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 to Lumia 928, Lumia 822 | Windows Central

http://www.winbeta.org/news/verizon-begins-roll-out-windows-81-update-1-lumia-928822-icon-update-com...

Actually I am a pretty decent guy. However telling folks to cool their jets and wait for any update seems to not get a person likeability. Then again I am not here to be liked. I am here to help when I can.

As stated over and over and over, when Verizon is ready then you may or may not get any updates. Not via threats or intimidation but patience.

Not applicable

Its never a waste to set people straight who were or on a folly.

My use of cell phones does not matter. I get them dumb updates on my device all the time.

But what you and others are missing here is " I am not erroneously telling the carriers they have to give me that update" they don't have to.

Now that the updates are going out the nasty posts about Verizon taking their time getting it out and the my device is not working properly now begins. It is a vicious cycle.

Alexvrb
Contributor - Level 1

Your usage of cell phones (or lack thereof) does matter. Because it seems you simply do not understand, nor are you capable of understanding, why people would be bothered by this type of scenario. "I get them dumb updates on my device all the time." That alone tells me volumes, and basically you can't ever see things from our perspective. Thus you are unsympathetic and your OPINION on the matter of updates is going to invariably be "oh they're worthless". Well they're worth something to us, a lot as a matter of fact. So this thing you don't value, we value. You could respect that if you wanted to, or you could continue with your current line of thinking. I suspect I know where you'll head.

Plus you're not exactly a saint - telling people they're wasting their life asking for what you view as pointless, when it is obviously important to them. Your way or the highway, right bub? If you're truly nice people will figure it out. If you have to sit on your tall horse and tell people that you're a nice guy... you might not be quite as perfectly nice as you think.

lylone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why did Verizon send me an email saying they have a new Nokia Lumia 928 on reserve for me?  I guess they are hoping I will add another line, do Edge or buy a new phone outright instead of waiting for Denim on my ICON.  It kind of was a slap in the face when I got the email..  "Here, give us more money if you want the update sooner than waiting some more". 

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am going to try and explain something to you as a nice guy would. I have owned and used every cellular phone from the first analog 3 watt bag phone and the old brick phone I carried in a briefcase.

Previous to that I used my fathers mobile car phone which was a microwave transmission device if memory serves me. Just like in our home it looked the same and the operator handled the calls.

Then I moved on from analog devices to digital. It was natural progression. However you did not have the constant complaining as you do today back in cellulars beginning. You made phone calls, you may depending on device text message. That was it. Still with me?

As technology made strides the cellular phones made leaps and bounds. Now instead of the $5 a month Verizon Mobile Web (remember that oldie)? You had a full GUI in the newer devices. The devices still made and received voice calls and text messages. I believed the calls ran about $1.30 a minute back then and text messages were .25¢ each. We have come a long way.

However, with devices being farmed out via different manufacturers using (Android) or (iOS) and now (Windows)

Just because the device makers add new features or enhancements does not mean you get these for life.

If you buy a car and every year something new is added to entice sales you as the owner of the 2014 model year cannot call the dealer and demand those new features be given to you. You see having the 2014 model year does not mean it does not function as to when you purchased the car. Now if the car maker says we are giving an update to your cars voice control system to make your travels better and its free. It is a simple courtesy. Not a given right. Still following.?

Your windows phone or any device does not automatically entitle you to any future updates. Nada zilch none.

What you paid for is what you are using now, if a sales person lied to make a sale and you were suckered that speaks volumes to me about you.

I have used androids/droids/iOS and personally updates although never a problem to my wife and I are a great problem to many on this and other forums. Yes I belong to many forums.

The update hits your device and bam....the battery life is worse, the WiFi is not functional, the screen shuts off and will not come back on, the Bluetooth is not hooking to your car or home speakers or uconnect. And the list goes on.

Now as with my apple devices I have now seen one update and I believe four patches to that update. Why?

Again my device worked perfectly *before* the updates.

This is why I try and let people know not to be rushing for updates. Wait it out.

The other aspect is many are under the impression that the carriers must give them. Again this is false information. They don't. And the constant complain to the FCC etc. Is a waste since they don't have the authority to force them to give any updates. But people did not like hearing the truth.

Then the threats of Verizon's at fault and if we don't get it by such and such a date we will go to another carrier.

You see when I read these types of posts and the people that agree with them without using their brains speaks volumes to me of how little they know in the matter.

Again my phone use is *my business* not yours. I don't personally care if updates get to me or not. Neither does my wife but we don't get up everyday angry with the carrier for not giving them or giving them on time.

Peter_T
Enthusiast - Level 3

The upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1, Update 1 has been available to Nokia Lumia 822 users as of yesterday (Saturday, December 20, 2014).   I upgraded my Lumia 822 yesterday and all went well with the upgrade (though the upgrade process took over six hours).

jambodia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Much like your posts.

rockman20
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off, thank you Verizon for finally releasing the 8.1 update for the Lumia 822. I downloaded the update last night as soon as I saw that it was available and now I have been spending the morning letting it run the update and it is migrating my data as I type. Again, thank you for getting that done!

Now, Elector, all I can say is wow. For someone who is so tired of all the complaining and whining, you sure do spend a lot of time doing the same. Verizon released the update. Was it because of all of us whiners? It very well could be! Am I happy? I most certainly am. For a group of users who make up such a small percentage of smart phone users, we sure seem to be able to get under your skin.

I have never been one to get into a pissing match with someone like you. I have seriously sat here and tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but with every post you put up, I definitely have lost any respect that I may have once had for you.

I am sorry that you do not agree with us whiners and complainers. But I am definitely glad that you are able to voice your opinion much like I am able to voice mine. Smiley Happy For that I am thankful. So with that I only ask one thing. The next time your home computer (if you have one running Windows) lets you know that there is an update out there and you accept it, please remember that you got the update because Microsoft approved it and we thankfully do not live in a world where our ISP's (that stands for Internet Service Provider) do not block a Microsoft update because they are "working with Microsoft". The next time you buy a new car and there is a recall because the computer has a glitch that just needs a quick re-program remember to be thankful that your dealership cannot block that update because they are working with the company.

I know, more analogies that don't mean anything. I am sorry that I gave it an effort to help you to understand that I never once felt like I "deserved" this update. Had Microsoft come out and said my phone was not capable of handling the update or that they were not going to program the update to work with my device, I would have purchased a new phone so that I could take advantage of 8.1. But I definitely felt cheated when Microsoft said that my phone is capable and that 8.1 would work on my device and they were even nice enough to offer it free of charge to current users. Only to have my provider tell me that I can't have it and then never gave a good explanation as to why I couldn't have it.

I understand that no matter what anyone else has to say or what I say, you will never open up and see where I was coming from. You are much happier stirring the pot and closing your mind to it all. Again, I never attacked you for your view. Some people are okay with the older technology and do not utilize all of the features quite like others do. I think that is great. Where you are wrong, however, is when you take the time to attack and accuse others that don't see the world in the same light that you do.

Merry Christmas everyone! (Yes, even you Elector!) It looks like Verizon has given me my gift a couple days early and for that I am once again a happy Verizon customer. I hope that everyone can be surrounded with people who love them and that everyone is safe. My present looks like it is on step 17 of 21 so I am going to sit here patiently and wait for it to finish.

Not applicable

jambodia wrote:

Much like your posts.

I see you missed the brain part in my previous reply to another.

Otherwise I and others would know just what you are writing about. I know I sure don't.

0 Likes