Huge discrepancy in data usage
jlesho09
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone else noticed a huge discrepancy in the reported data usage between My Verizon and Microsoft's Data Sense? I understand that the number won't be 100% the same, but there is a HUGE difference between 7.024GB and 5.14GB. What gives???

wp_ss_20140410_0002.jpgwp_ss_20140410_0003.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Huge discrepancy in data usage
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

Data sense on your phone measures only the usage for that device. If there are multiple devices on your account, the usage on VZW web site includes all devices. Notice that at the top of the image from VZW it says "SHARED DATA DETAILS". (Yes, I do see the difference for the device specific data use.) Data sense is device specific. It does not collect any details from VZW usage. The other thing I noticed is Data Sense shows no data usage for e-mail (I see my Outlook email, but not my third party email) where that would be included on the VZW site, so if you receive significant amount of email with attachments or images that may make up a lot of the difference. I do see data on Data Sense for Messaging. I also see a difference between Data Sense on my Icon and My Verizon. Beyond that I can't explain the difference.

0 Likes
socalif4niadude
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had data discrepancy a few times and always during transition points of my contracts. 

First time was when my 2yr contract was ending. My USB MODEM data spiked over 300% during the last two months of my existing con tract.  I never went over my allowable data during any period and those two years.  Verizon had no logical explanation for overage and suggested upgrading with new contract.

Second time was when Verizon bugged me to upgrade to 4G Service.  I use the modem for work and my work region did not have 4G service at that time. Verizon said, "No problem, your monthly service fee will be less and you will just be receiving and sending a 3G level until the region goes online with 4G service.  Verizon then said, " You will have to upgrade to a 4G Modem to get the lower fee.  So I upgraded with a 4G USB Modem

and 4G service. 

I was extremely upset when I received my first and second month bills. My data usage was averaging normally around 4GIG'S a month.  The first month data spiked to over 8GIG (twice the average) and the second month spiked to 10GIG.  Unbelievable!!!!

Verizon did not have logical answer to the overage, but had a solution to upgrade to higher fee w/ high allowable data usage (10 GIG a month).  So I did.  Guess what?  That region went on 4G service that next month and I started averaging 4GIG usage a month).

One year and two weeks later, my 4G Modem that I purchased stopped working.  Verizon informed me that my warranty had expired by two weeks, just my luck!

Here is the clincher!  I asked Verizon if I could reactivate my old purchased 3G USB MODEM devise.  They said yes you can AND IT WILL WORK ON YOUR 4G SERVICE.  Verizon reactivated the devise and I went on doing business as usual.  I changed my contract back to 5G allowable data since I was back to my normal usage.  My contract was to pay $10.00 for every GIG over my allowable coverage. 

I only paid my normal service fee because I never had any overage charges UNTIL  the last remaining months of my existing contract.  The two month statements showed that I was being charged for data overage.  My contract was to pay $10.00 per GIG over my allowable data usage. 

Third time as a mentioned happened again during the final stages of my existing contract.  I did not understand how I all of a sudden had a major increase in data usage and why I was being charged more than the contract agreement of $10.00 a Gig.

Turns out that my overage charge was altered when I started using my old 3G USB MODEM. I was now getting charged $0.05 per Meg.  BIG DIFFERENCE!  Problem was that I was never informed of this and did not experience it because I had normal usage for the whole remaining year of my existing contract.

Verizon did not change the overage fee when I was placed on 4G and awaiting to use 4G service in my region.  Verizon did not offer to put me back at 3G service which would of eliminated the higher overage charge if needed.

So I am writing this for everyone out there in Verizonland to be aware of the company's little tricks to get you this or that and fail to explain all the details or even offer them.

Who knows....maybe this was Verizon's way of getting me to upgrade my modem to 4G again to save money and lock in a new 2yr. contract.  What do you  think?  So I have decided to shut down my home phone line, my home Vios Internet Service, all my families personal mobile cell phone service and my business wireless mobile phone service.  Add it all up!

0 Likes
jlesho09
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you're telling me that "Line Usage," the number that I circled, includes both mine and my wife's usage? Then what's "Total Shared Usage." And if that's the case then why does my "Line Usage" + my wife's "Line Usage" add up to the "Total Shared Usage?"

I think that what socalif4niadude said is interesting because I recently switched to the Edge plan, and then shortly after I upgraded my data to 10GB. I've never noticed this big of a discrepancy between the two numbers until after I made these changes, so I guess we'll just have to see how closely the numbers match up next month.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@jlesho09,

I totally understand the importance of getting an accurate estimate of your data usage. Overage is never a fun surprise on your bill.

I suggest you go with the usage estimate you see on your My Verizon mobile app since this is what is used when it comes to billing. The line usage is the usage for that specific line. The Total Shared usage is what is use in total among the lines on the plan.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
socalif4niadude
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good luck with Verizon in the future....,because I have had it!!!!  Who in their right mind agree to pay $0.05 per meg for data overage over $10.00 a gig?  That's $51.20 vs. $10.00 for 1 gig data overage.  Why would it cost more to use a 3G USB Modem over a 4G USB Modem with a 4G Plan?  Verizon had no problem upgrading before 4G service was available in my area and I had to settle for 3G service with a 4G plan.  So what is good for them isn't for their customers.

Think about it? If your upgrading to something new that might save you money, but create less profit for Verizon in the long run. So your first couple of bills reflect some outrageous additional charge on it.  So Verizon tells you to evaluate your plan usage to see if maybe you need to upgrade to a different plan. 

One other example might be your 2 year contract is about to end and you haven't agreed to renew it yet or upgrade to a new 4G USB Modem.  You get your last couple of months billing and you notice that you went way over your allowed data service for those months using your old 3G USB Modem with your 4G Plan.  It s seems strange that you haven't experienced an overage charge since reactivating you 3G Modem.  It wasn't my choice to reactivate it.  The 4G modem that Verizon supplied me only last 1 year and two weeks.  Warranty was for 1 year and I did not want to pay full price for a new 4G modem.  I apologize Verizon for using a modem that doesn't rack up the data usage that a 4G modem is capable of.

0 Likes
socalif4niadude
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon doesn't have a solution to resolving my issue.  They did apologize for misleading me about contract changes involving data overage fees using a slower 3G USB modem device.  I have attempted to discuss this with Verizon for the past month.  I was told that someone else was the primary account holder and would have to contact that person to get permission to make changes.  I am confused, I was the person that setup this account and don't remember ever allowing someone to change it.  I found out that somehow my wife was the primary holder.  So I told her to contact Verizon concerning the bill and overage.  I then received a call form Verizon claiming that they had my wife on the other line and needed my permission for them to discuss the bill with my wife.  WHAT?

No Verizon has warned me that my account will be shut down without payment.   Good bye everyone!  Hope you have better luck with Verizon than I experienced.  Guess I will take that $500.00 a month I was spending with Verizon and go by me something better.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets make certain that everything adds up and you're on the best option socalif4niadude! Your business is very important to us and we certainly don't want you to consider leaving. For your privacy, we don't have access to the specific activities that you used during the cycle. However the good news is that we have a great Data Calculator to gain an understanding of how the usage is calculated. For all the details, please visit http://vz.to/M1wpU3

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
socalif4niadude
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sorry but it is to late.  Funny how I receive an offer to resolve this here and not directly by email.  I only receive email threats of action if I don't make a payment within 24 hours by Verizon.   I've made many attempts at resolving this matter with Verizon representatives here online and over the phone without luck.  I use this account for work purposes every week, 8am-5pm,  Monday thru Friday.  I must sell everyday as a salesperson or I fail to make a living.  The day to day usage of my USB Modem device does not fluctuate to twice my allowed data usage in a single month, especially when I have averaged under 4G of data usage (5G Plan) during the previous eight months.

I come to this community site in hopes of finding responses from Verizon customers complaining that they have been charged for high data usage when no one was capable of using the data during certain hours of the day or why the high usage during the last few months of an expiring contract agreement?

I have yet to find such a response or a logical explanation.  Verizon has failed me in the past and many other times during the last 15 years as a customer.  I have multiple Verizon accounts, including smartphones, cell phones, landline, home internet and others that I will be closing over the next few months.   Your competition is waiting for the opportunity to prove how much they would appreciate my business.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

socalif4niadude, we're eager to address all of your data usage concerns. Are you streaming music, videos, or movies while connected with this modem device? These tasks will use large amounts of data allowance.  Additionally, if your laptop is due for any software updates, it will utilize your data allowance, as well. For your convenience, you may view your data usage sessions online at My Verizon: http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

I apologize that we no longer offer the e-mail option. However, you can reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter, chat or by calling us at 800-922-0204. If you have any additional concerns, please feel free to reach out to us here for assistance, as well.

0 Likes