Re: FM Radio In Amber Update
Customer1234567
Contributor - Level 1

Same here, look forward to any news.

I think all Lumia 928 owners should start a class action lawsuit against Verizon wireless. This has happened to many devices over the years that Verizon released, where they just disable features on devices because they chose to. Enough is enough.

If we are paying for a device, we should have a right to all the features the designer made the device with. With the full retail costs or the monthly costs on a 2 year contract, we are way over paying for these devices, WE SHOULD GET EVERYTHING WE PAY FOR, PERIOD.

With all the press about Windows Phone 8 devices getting FM radio support on the GDR2 update this is a major outrage.

This is a Verizon thing, I am sure they made the decision to disable FM radio, not a Nokia thing.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm just not convinced (yet) that it is Verizon that is to blame here.  Let's just say the manner in which Nokia is responding to inquiries raises red flags in my mind that there is more to this issue than they are willing to reveal.

Here's another anecdotal piece of the puzzle from the Microsoft store:

http://phones.microsoftstore.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=36173_6a1c2b25378146849cd24bc7fd7a0...

Click on "Device Details" and when the window spawns, expand the "Entertainment" branch. There it is, as plain as the nose on your face -

FM Radio-Yes

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

What are you going to file the lawsuit for?  It's not like Verizon left out a feature they advertised.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke with Tier 2 support again today. This is being escalated (or so I am told) internally to the group responsible for phone updates etc.  Probably wont' know anything anytime soon but I HIGHLY suggest everyone who cares about this issue should pick up the phone, and complain as much as you can to as many people as you can.  Until there is enough noise to register on the radar it's like anything else.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

And here my friends is all the proof you need that FM Radio is in fact now built into the Windows Phone 8 OS with build 8.0.10327.77 (GDR2).  I walked into the place of business of a Cell Phone Vendor this afternoon, picked up a Nokia 925 which is for all intents and purposes the same phone as the 928 and made this screen capture which I then sent via MMS to myself.

V__F7B2.png

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I just applied GRD2 to my 822 and I have the radio option....  SO if VZW is deliberately removing the radio it would be missing the radio as well  one would think.

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well apparently the issue with the 928 is not with the core componentry, ie, the chipset. The core component necessary to receive FM radio IS THERE in the MSM8960 chipset.  The problem is that Nokia, whether by design or at the behest of Verizon took a shortcut and did not run wire from the FM receiver to the headphone jack so as to complete the circuit so your headset would act as an antenna.  This is the kind of shortcut one might expect on a low end device such as the 620 but on a premier device?  Please!  For want of a wire the capabilities of the phone have been diminished to the days when you had no choice but to carry a separate device to hear over the air radio.  Incredulous is all I can say at this point.  Being livid about it changes nothing but note to Nokia and Verizon... I won't soon forget this.

>>Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

And that is exactly the reason in an earlier post I said "I'm just not convinced (yet) that it is Verizon that is to blame here."

0 Likes
EquiGym_mz2k

I just switched from Sprint because they lied to the consumers about the HTC Arrive not being able to tether (as well as other reasons). They claimed the device hardware wouldn't support it.

At least VZW didn't quite lie about this one. But removing a feature for whatever reason (to eat up data?) just makes me mad.

Thank you NeoAnderson for getting to the bottom of this with VZW.

>>Discussion of rooting/hacking devices removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
NeoAnderson
Enthusiast - Level 3

>> Post removed; discussion of rooting/hacking devices is prohibited on this forum.  Please review the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes