Can I reuse the Sim from my Lumia 822 in my new HTC One M8?
roveer
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Lumia 822 came off contract in June and I've purchased a HTC One M8 Windows Phone without a sim.  Can I use the Sim from my Lumia 822 in my new HTC One?  Is there anything I need to do or just switch the sim over?

Thanks,

Roveer

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I reuse the Sim from my Lumia 822 in my new HTC One M8?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, if they are the same size.  Simply power off the old phone, move the SIM to the new phone, power it on.  Log in with the same Microsoft account and if you backed up, it should restore to the new phone.

If the SIM cards are different sizes, there are adapters that work when going from a smaller to a larger SIM slot.  If the card is smaller in the new phone, you CAN cut to size, or just get a new one at a local corporate store for free (retailers may charge for it) or call customer service to have one mailed to you.

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, if they are the same size.  Simply power off the old phone, move the SIM to the new phone, power it on.  Log in with the same Microsoft account and if you backed up, it should restore to the new phone.

If the SIM cards are different sizes, there are adapters that work when going from a smaller to a larger SIM slot.  If the card is smaller in the new phone, you CAN cut to size, or just get a new one at a local corporate store for free (retailers may charge for it) or call customer service to have one mailed to you.

roveer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I posted I've been doing some research.  The Lumia 822 uses a Micro SIM and the HTC One uses a NANO sim so they will not be compatible.

However.  I noticed that phone that I purchased (from eBay) included a SIM.  I am guessing it was the one they used when they had the phone on Verizon's network.  I've also got a Verizon NANO SIM that came out of an iPhone, again, once used, but no longer.

So, the question is:

Can SIMs that were previously used for service be re-used or do I need to get a new one?  I've heard various stories that some Verizon outlets charge for SIMS and some do not.  I'm hoping that I can do this without any additional expense.  My preference would be to use one of the 2 SIMs that I already have so knowing whether I can do that will be important.

Thanks,

Roveer

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should get a new SIM card from a corporate store. I wouldn't recommend using a SIM card that might still have the previous user's account information on it.

If SIM card in the phone was new and never used, then you should be able to activate it on your account.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

AZSALUKI
Legend

if the one that came out of an iphone was yours, you could likely use it, but may need to call verizon to actually activiate it. also, as ann mentioned, if you get a new one, get it from a corporate verizon store. the difference is that that will give you one where many of the third party stores (some look VERY much like an actual verizon corporate store) will charge you for one.

roveer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately all of the nano sims that I have are NOT mine so I guess it makes sense to get a new one.  The big question is, is Verizon going to charge me 45 dollars to "activate" my new phone?  I was hoping to avoid that.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The activation fee only occurs when starting a new line of service. You are switching from one phone to another on an already active line. There will be no upgrade fee or activation fee. If they attempt to charge you, then you are not at a corporate store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

roveer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the helpful information.  I've got 2 stores close to me, as a previous post indicated, the 3rd party store looks very much like the corporate store but I do know which is which.  I've always done my business at the corporate store so that's where I'll be going.  Glad to hear that they _shouldn't_ be trying to charge me an activation fee.  Let's hope they don't.