Re: Are there any new windows phones in the works for 2017?
mama23dogs
Legend

It is strictly economics on the part of the manufacturers.

Verizon can't sell what isn't produced.  phone manufacturers have to pass FCC certification to sell in the US.  There are different fees involved and most will not bother with paying for separate CDMA certification if they can't make their money back. 

(is Nextbit Robin was supposed to be produced on both GSM and CDMA version.  When CDMA proved to costly and difficult to pass, they scrapped it.)

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is highly unlikely that any Windows phones will be coming to Verizon Wireless, Sprint and US Cellular until the respective companies have their next generation networks up & running and the existing CDMA networks closed off.

For Verizon Wireless, that would mean sometime in 2019.

Windows OEMs just don't want to spend the money for CDMA certification at this point...even if it results in decimated sales figures.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just checked the Verizon Wireless list of smartphones, and, the Lumia 735 is still there. $120 pay upfront, or  $5/month.

0 Likes
TIMNEW93
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, dexman, your input was very helpful.  I see that the 735 is back up on the VZW site.  It had been removed, and there was a news article, and now it looks like it's been put back up.

I have to give credit to Verizon for at least continuing to offer the 735.  It is not a flagship phone, but it is a very nice phone.  Mine is not slow or laggy as some would think with older technology, and it doesn't seem to suffer from the bugs in Windows 10 that I hear others complain about.

Having said that, it sounds like the 735 is all that will be available on Windows mobile for at least another two years. It would be nice if Verizon would work with the OEMs to get at least one of the newer models available on Verizon--say the Alcatel Idol.  The 735 just isn't capable of handling the newer technology like continuum.  I think there is more of a market than it appears--one of the main reasons for the decimation of Windows Mobile (other than Microsoft shutting down the Lumia line) is the unavailability of the flagship Windows phones on Verizon.  People who had 928s wanted to upgrade and found they couldn't, so they either switched platforms or left Verizon.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like a cost issue. It costs more for CDMA certification than for GSM. Add to that the fact that there are more GSM networks in use here in the US than CDMA networks, and the OEMs decided to stay away.

The sad thing is that, with the lack of new models for customers of VZW, Sprint and US Cellular to choose from, will there be anyone left to purchase the first new model by the time one does make to VZW?

I've been using Android phones for several years now.....HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Galaxy S4 and now a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (I still have my two older phones).I wanted to try a Windows phone. I know that the 735 is still there (it will drop off at some point though as Microsoft as stopped production of all Lumia phones), but, I want to try a higher end model than the 735.

I'm not ready to jump ship for at&t yet, but, if Verizon Wireless does away with my grandfathered one-bill feature, there won't be any real reason for me to stick around. I know that I'm paying more for service than if I went back to separate billing and switched to a current plan, but, being able to pay my Verizon (Ma Bell) and my Verizon Wireless bills all at once is a convenience that I enjoy.

I have read that Microsoft Stores will be selling a Microsoft version of the Samsung Galaxy 8. I guess it is an S8 with extra Microsoft apps.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Here it is.    The Samsung Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition is infused with Microsoft apps | PCWorld

The question is, "is it a GSM only phone?"  

No sign of the supposed pre order on their website.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

That's not a Windows phone though, it's simply an Android S8 with the full suite of Microsoft apps preinstalled.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thus could very well be the direction that Microsoft...under Satya Nardella....will be going full bore. Offer a full suite of Microsoft apps on Android and iOS devices rather than produce Windows phones priced for the masses.

For those wishing for a phone running on Windows OS, a small number of high end units will be available for the commercial sector as well as anyone who can get past the premium price tag.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I mispelled Satya's last name. It should be Nadella.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Just an FYI, some good information on the GS8 Microsoft edition here: Samsung Galaxy S8 'Microsoft Edition:' Everything you need to know https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-microsoft-edition-everything-you-need-know.

They do say in the article that there will be a Verizon compatible, but Microsoft is currently only carrying the AT&T version.

0 Likes