Re: Anyone else waiting for a better WP7 device on Verizon?
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

louise3000 wrote:

Is there a Windows phone presently available somewhere that could be activated on my existing Verizon Droid Charge contract?

I can image that it could be worth purchasing the WP phone rather than charging batteries every few hours.

And then.....I could finally just sync Outlook without turning handsprings.

Louise

Yes. the Verizon branded HTC Trophy. You can buy new or off-contract from VZW or from resellers or ebay. 

Any clean (not reported stolen or currently attached to a customer's data contract) used HTC Trophy with Verizon branding can be replace the current smartphone on your VZW account and not change your contract.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

Much like the woes that large number of devices out there will end up getting torn apart and such for things to come out?  Like Windows?  Just because they find all these things may not because of inherently insecure...  Look at windows and the bad rap it gets for a long time.  The more users the more stuff gets looked into.

If the roles were reversed and WinMo7 was the top dog I'd bet there'd be as much stuff out there as does Android.

Not necessarily true.  As a developer with apps in the marketplace, I can tell you this:

1. With Android, a developer has a lot of freedom with accessing the data on the phone.  Yes, some of it has to have user permission, but how many of you actually read those warnings before clicking, "yes, allow this app to record audio of my phone calls"?  http://bit.ly/u8Swcp

2. With Android, when I click submit, the app is out there for all to download.  It is not checked for malware prior to publish. 

3. If an app is discovered to be malicious, it is removed from the marketplace.  Google apparently doesn't care about all of those poor souls who already downloaded the app.  It's up to them to remove it.  IF (BIG IF) they know about the problem.

4. With WP, when I write an app, I can not access data stored by another app.  Even if I am the one who wrote the other app.  The apps are isolated from each other.  If I want to share information between two apps, I have to set up a web api to share it with.

5. When I submit an app, it gets tested, not only for malware, but to be sure that it follows the certification guidelines, which includes such things as not using location services without asking permission, and providing a way for the user to block using such services.

6. IF (BIG IF) I am good enough to write a malicious app that gets past Microsoft's testing, once discovered, Microsoft removes it from Marketplace, and revokes the security certificate.  Revoking the security certificate will cause every phone (other than developers' unlocked devices) to uninstall the app.  No user action required.  They have proven they could do this with a pirated app: http://bit.ly/tLX6LN

Clearly, Android and Windows Phone are worlds apart in security.  Yes, Windows has its problems, and needs patching and such on an irritatingly regular basis.  But this isn't Windows.  It's Windows Phone.  Unfortunately, it shares a common word that has a negative connotation with many people, but it is a  completely separate device, and has a completely different security model.  I think Microsoft got this one right.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

Much like the woes that large number of devices out there will end up getting torn apart and such for things to come out?  Like Windows?  Just because they find all these things may not because of inherently insecure...  Look at windows and the bad rap it gets for a long time.  The more users the more stuff gets looked into.

If the roles were reversed and WinMo7 was the top dog I'd bet there'd be as much stuff out there as does Android.

Oh - and what in the world is WinMo7???

0 Likes
RandyL

I am waiting for a better selection of Windows Phones.  Other carriers offer a reasonable selection, but you offer one phone and that should be embarrassing for number one mobile service provider.

I have tried Android for the last 2 years and I don't like it.  Please offer a better selection.  I would rather not have a smartphone or data plan if it means continuing to use Android.

0 Likes
JasonSCarter
Contributor - Level 1

A lot of us here are frustrated with Verizon only offering one WP7 device.  And it's a Gen1 device.  They haven't attempted to get a Gen2 device.  Really sad.  ATT has a very good selection, even T-Mobile has two Gen2 devices, even though they are on the lower end spec wise.  I am hoping CES will bring some kind of WP7 news for us Verizon customers, but I am not holding my breath on it.

0 Likes
SmoothDouglas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jason - Don't hold your breath.  It was just rumored that AT&T is getting the Nokia Ace/900, a new HTC and Samsung phones that are going to be great devices.  Verizon is going to get the OK, Nokia 700 which happens to be NON-LTE.  Contradicting Verizon's previous statement that they'd only allow LTE Windows Phone devices on their network.

I have an HTC Trophy and it's OK, but soooooo wanted an Nokia 900.  I'm trying to understand the relationship between MS and Verizon and the more things I see or read about it the more it gets me wanting to jump ship.  I think the only reason they are even HAVING Window Phones is to keep anybody that's currently on the network that like WP to stay there.  My local store has an iPhone display, wall to wall Android phones and not the HTC Trophy.  You can only get it specially ordered.....so {word filter avoidance} that I can't explain how that makes me feel!

I'm going to wait out the next month to see if there are any announcements about Windows Phone Devices.  After the dust clears, I'll be jumping ship to AT&T if Verizon doesn't get some good devices.  That means me, and my wife's contracts will be done with Verizon.  Then soon, my 3 young daughters will be wanting phones too.

Step up Verizon.

0 Likes
JasonSCarter
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, I am not happy either with all the news today.  Been venting on Twitter all morning.  Verizon is an Android house for now it looks like.  It's really a shame that Verizon is letting ATT get all these devices.  Tell HTC, Samsung, etc that your customers want these devices too Verizon!  Geez....off to ATT I go it looks like.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

it would be a real kick in the pants to VZW customers if only the Lumia 710 comes to Verizon before mid 2012. Nice phone for price-conscious shopper that should compliment 1-2 other superphones (like the superior samsung focus flash $0.99 on AT&T does to the Titan & Focus S and HD7S).

The April suggsted date (3 months after Tmobile) is almost a year after Trophy with same style "midrange $49 smartphone. Same or less memory also.

Nevermind no front-facting camera (good for the Tango app and cross platform with all the droid devices VZW has pimped since the moto droid).

Pathetic treatment of customers but no surprise. Maybe VZW burnt bridges with HTC & Samsung along the way. They had motorolla over a barrel as they hemorrhaged cash (and still do pending the google buyout approval).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
@hop-
You further prove my point...
If WP7 sold millions of devices like the iphone or Android there would be more scutiny.
Look at OSX vs Windows. One of the perceived notions is that OSX is safe. When in fact like you spread more fud. Since OSX has been getting more and more users there has been an influx of virus and malware. Keep feeding the FUD.
0 Likes