23 GB for System files? Really?
Dashgash

On my Lumia 929 (Icon) the "System" files take up 23 GB of the available 32 GB non-expandable space. Most research reveals that the System files should take up no more than 5 GB. Anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts or solutions?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: 23 GB for System files? Really?
primortal
Master - Level 1

If you're running Windows Phone 8.1 this tool might help clean up the System files, https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrfhwqk

0 Likes
Dashgash

Thanks, I had already checked into that. I've deleted Temporary Files, and other excess stuff, which is about all that app will let you do. The last variable appears to be about 6 GB of Photos and Music, which I am prepared to delete if absolutely necessary. Still, this will not solve the issue of why System contains 23 GB of files.  Now, having said all that, the "Storage Sense" app shows that Other is empty and that System is bloated with almost 23 GB of files. However, the "Storage Check" app says that 2.1 GB is System and about 20 GB is Other. Unfortunately, Storage Check only tells me that it's there, and does not let me delete the 20 GB of Other.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

There some tips to further reduce the bloated system storage

How to reduce Other Storage Space in Windows Phone

Another app to see if does the job

Reclaim lost storage with Shrink Storage for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Central

If you haven't do a soft reset and worse case is to do a hard reset.

I'm on W10M and mines around 3.5 GB.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to get the most out of your Lumia 929, Dashgash. May I ask what function are you not able to use on your device that brought attention to the System Files? Also, about how many 3rd party apps do you have installed on the 929?

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes