Re: why is verizon's share everything plan $85 more for less data? can someone help?
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

For some it might work out depending on how they use their phone . For others it wont.I can understand that. Others can't

0 Likes
Re: why is verizon's share everything plan $85 more for less data? can someone help?
Not applicable

So to answer both responses, Yes Automatic Updates is turned on and that part throws the Data Usage into the Google Play Store not the respective applications.

I am talking about Data Usage not Disk or Mempry space.

Each one of these programs phones home to check for things (updates, messages, etc... and the Phoning home is automatic. I have check to make sure that none of these are set up in the Account Sync so that nothing will sync on them automatically.

The thing that threw me and made me finally figure this part out is one of the Data usage programs I am using to monitor the Data has some alerts built into it and some features built into it.  one of those is to not allow a program if selected to use Data unless you are connected to Wi Fi. I have all of these set to only use Data when connected to Wi Fi (now) and at first it woudl give me an alert whenever one of the restricted programs tried to call home, and I started getting alerts right away that My Verizon and VZ Navigator were trying to make a Data Connection.

Most of the others I got the alerts about 2:00 am that programs were tryingt oconnect.

Of these programs only Slacker Radio and Slingbox attempted to make a Data Connection one night a week (they are also the smallest users of Data from this group).

This was consistant on my Bionic and my sons Razr Maxx and even some of the other phones we put the app on. The only phones that did NOT do this were those that were modified (and not allowed to discuss here).

My Girlfriends HTC Incredible 2 was a little better and only used 1.23 GB of Data but it also does NOT have all of these BLOATWARE APPS on it.

In the 2 weeks since I have put the restrictions on these programs my Data usage has only been 173 MB where last month at this same point the Data usage was over 1 GB.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

vznsharewallet wrote:

full price on virgin vs 199 subsidized on verizon is only 300 difference. you'll save that over 3 months on virgin/straight talk/any other mvno and you'll get almost 2.5 the amount of data.

doesn't sound like a headache to me....

The iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile will be $649.99 for the 16GB version, vs. $199.99 subsidized on VZW.  That difference is $450.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phones/iPhone4S-16GB-phone.jsp

0 Likes
Sythrix
Contributor - Level 1

I'm thinking about getting a program called Tasker, it allows you to set-up automatic connection protocols. So if you come within range of your homes wi-fi, it will automatically connect. Coupled with setting programs to only sync when on wi-fi, or choosing manually update, should help alleviate any concerns about applications using up data to perform their sync methods. I have a droid 2, older I know, but I have Verizon's programs that they installed, and none of them seems to take up any data really, even without having tasker yet. If you're having too many problems, then you might want to look into other options.... that I can't talk about......*cough*.....

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i used something similar for a while called llama.the only problem with those types of apps is that they don't use actual gps for your location. they use towers. so, for example, i had it set to connect to wifi at home and at work. it will familiarize itself to the towers you hit at home and work. whenever you hit those towers, it starts looking for the wifi. it's still nice, but if i go to lunch down the street and am still on the same tower as my office location, it will search for wifi the entire time i'm at lunch. same thing at home. if i go down to the neighborhood pool, it will continue to try to connect to my home wifi because i'm still using the same tower. it was a very nice app though and i'm actually thinking of reinstalling it because, besides the wifi feature, there's a TON of other settings that it can trigger based on location (ringtone, screen brightness, etc, etc)

0 Likes