Re: voLTE has been Started.!
Not applicable

You do realize that just about every phone released in the last year will get this update. So what have they screwed up? This is new thing that is going to take YEARS before it's a regular thing. Fact is probably more G2 out there than Note 3's. Some people have to complain about everything.

0 Likes
visortgw
Enthusiast - Level 2

The iPhone 6/6 Plus only received half of the capabilities -- no video using VoLTE. #FAIL

0 Likes
Not applicable

This just got started ,give it a chance to get rolled out. Jeez people.

0 Likes
usafatcmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I disagree with some of these posts about "you should just wait." Well, you guys do realize Verizon has been working on VoLTE for roughly 2 years now right? What is the excuse to only test your VoLTE network with only 1 phone during the testing phase?

Up here in Alaska, Verizon launched their wireless service for the first time, a pure 4G LTE Network, no CDMA/3G/1X coverage up here, it falls back on extended network. When a company touts "a wide selection of phones will be available during the launch of VoLTE" you expect more than 3 options, especially when you realize how long they have been "working" on VoLTE. I understand that people need patience and I gladly provided patience for 2 years as Verizon built up the network here in Alaska with the assurance that a wide variety of phones would be available.

So I will stand by my words stating Verizon screwed up on this one by constantly stating they will provide a vast amount of phones at the launch of VoLTE and then flop on that, unless Verizon considers 3 phones (the 4th being just a larger version of the original iPhone 6) to be a lot of phones.

0 Likes
Not applicable

usafatcmike wrote:

I disagree with some of these posts about "you should just wait." Well, you guys do realize Verizon has been working on VoLTE for roughly 2 years now right? What is the excuse to only test your VoLTE network with only 1 phone during the testing phase?

Oh Verizon is so stupid for not testing it with the Note 4, G3 and iPhone 6 back in 2012.

Once again the switch to VoLTE will take YEARS. It's a multi-year transition. Heck you can't even use it to talk to people with other carriers yet. Verizon is not even going to fully shut down its CDMA network for  another 6 years. do you realize that 40% of the phones on Verizon's network are either basic phones or 3G smartphones neither of which can use VoLTE?

0 Likes
usafatcmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, Verizon is stupid for not testing it with major phones already released from 2012 and 2013, such as the S4, iPhone 5, Nokia Luma 940, HTC One, S3, Nexus 4, Note 3, and so on. All these phones came with VoLTE capability but Verizon failed to test with them.

If you can give me a really good reason as to why Verizon would not test their VoLTE with a few devices that supported at the time of "testing," then maybe I will understand but right now, there is currently no clear understanding why Verizon would not test VoLTE on multiple devices that were already available and in use that were capable of supporting VoLTE.

Why would you only test your VoLTE Capabilities with only 1 phone? Why not test them with as many phones that support it during the testing phase? That is like saying I will test this one engine because this one engine on a car will help me understand what I need to do later on with a truck. It is stupid, develop a few of each, test multiple phones out, as many as you can, and then launch the service after multiple amounts of phones have been tested.

0 Likes
Not applicable

usafatcmike wrote:

No, Verizon is stupid for not testing it with major phones already released from 2012 and 2013, such as the S4, iPhone 5, Nokia Luma 940, HTC One, S3, Nexus 4, Note 3, and so on. All these phones came with VoLTE capability but Verizon failed to test with them.

You do realize that most of these phones will have VoLTE capability enabled before the end of the year?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

mrhelper wrote:

Heck you can't even use it to talk to people with other carriers yet.

Actually you can use VoLTE to talk to other carriers and land lines. It just is not the Advanced Calling 1.0 HD voice  VoLTE but rather "regular" VoLTE, but VoLTE nonetheless. The beauty of it being VoLTE is you now have talk and surf for the first time on Verizon with iPhones. The quality is still better than regular old CDMA voice.

You can confirm this by looking at the connection. Prior to VoLTE, when you made a voice call, you would fall back to CDMA 1X and have no data while in a call. You would not see an LTE indicator next to the signal level. Now with VoLTE, as long as you have LTE signal, the call is on VoLTE and the LTE indicator stays, plus you can talk and surf.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Weth wrote:

mrhelper wrote:

Heck you can't even use it to talk to people with other carriers yet.

Actually you can use VoLTE to talk to other carriers and land lines.

No carrier that has VoLTE enabled can you do that yet. Eventually yet but that's a few years away. You can't even use VoLTE within Verizon's network unless BOTH callers have VoLTE phones and have it enabled.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

That just is not true. I have been using the LTE network to carry all voice traffic since I got my iPhone 6P. That is VoLTE being used to initiate the call. I never drop back to CDMA to complete the call. As the iPhone only has the capacity for only 1 connection at a time, and since I am using the LTE data network to carry VOIP, I can continue to surf. It is not end to end over LTE. It is not end to end VoLTE, and the call gets transferred to common carrier lines, but still is likely all VOIP until it gets to the end system.

I'm sorry, but you do not have this one right. If you are on LTE, and your phone supports VoLTE, and you have Advanced Calling turned on, all your calls initiate with VoLTE. Only when you connect to another Verizon caller with VoLTE active do you get the HD VoLTE.

On my phone:

If you turn off Voice and Data on the LTE settings - when you make a call, LTE indicator drops off, and you cannot surf the internet. Voice quality is standard

If you turn on Voice and Data in the LTE settings and call a non-VoLTE Verizon phone, a cell phone on another carrier, or a land line, the LTE indicator stays lit, you can surf and talk at the same time and the voice quality is improved, what I would call landline quality when talking to someone on a landline. Calling ATT subscriber sounds better, Verizon subscriber sounds standard (as the other end is still CDMA 1x technology)

If you turn on Voice and Data in the LTE settings and call another Verizon phone with VoLTE, the LTE indicator stays lit, you can surf and talk, and the voice quality is superb.

0 Likes