Re: upgrade available 1 April-broke phone but representative told me no room for 16 day early upgrade
rcschnoor
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

Anyways I'm done talking about this.

I doubt this is true, but I could be wrong.

Brian68 wrote:

Clearly my response implies that a 20 month upgrade IS a benefit. Especially when my first two words to "4 months early is not some huge gesture" are IT IS. I'm not sure how that could be construed any other way.

If you would have left it at that, maybe. However you added the part "when they COULD make you wait the entire 24 months" which I feel is unrealistic as it would not be in Verizon's best interest. I gave reasons for my conclusion and I stand by them. THAT was the aim for MY comments. I'm not sure how THAT could be construed any other way.

It seems we will never know, though, since you are "done talking about this". Time will tell if I should have construed THAT comment any other way.

Re: upgrade available 1 April-broke phone but representative told me no room for 16 day early upgrade
TN-Howard
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go to the VZW store, and ask to talk to a manager.  Explain the situation to him/her, and then ask if granting an early upgrade is within his/her authority under the VZW customer issue escalation policy.  Higher ups have a little more flexibility than first-tier reps.

But you may be better off buying outright and getting rid of the contract, just go month-to-month.

0 Likes
jzeller

what does being polite and not raising your voice have to do with anything?  The posts within this thread struck me.  "I was even polite, this time (was implied).  Just thought I'd point that out.  It's too bad, though that you are not getting the consideration you need.  Surprising your daughter like that with a brand new phone.  Sacrificing someone else's upgrade for her new iPhone 5.  And, by your user name, apparently serving our country.

Good luck!

0 Likes
2cool4school
Contributor - Level 1

What is hilarious about this is you talk about defections to other companies like it's happening at an exponential rates when in fact the opposite is happening. Verizon is gaining customers exponentially while other companies are bleeding customers. You signed a contract so you are accountable for it. Maybe other companies are so desperate to keep what little customer base they have they need to lose money and breach their own contract but Verizon Wireless does not. JD Powers 4 years running for best customer service says the customers agree...

0 Likes
Not applicable

It might be good if Verizon had an "early upgrade" program where customers could pay more to upgrade early.  For instance, say you hate your phone and want to upgrade to a new phone that cost $650 at full retail with no new contract or $200 by signing a new contract at your normal upgrade time of 20 months or more.  Maybe they could let you upgrade at anytime by paying $650 less $22.50 per month of service completed.  So, for instance, at the end of 12 months you could upgrade to a new phone by signing a new 2 year contract and paying $650 - $270 = $380.  Might need to sweeten the deal a little so it's significantly better than paying EFT plus $200 for new phone.  For instance, they could wave the upgrade fee.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

2cool4school wrote:

What is hilarious about this is you talk about defections to other companies like it's happening at an exponential rates when in fact the opposite is happening. Verizon is gaining customers exponentially while other companies are bleeding customers. You signed a contract so you are accountable for it. Maybe other companies are so desperate to keep what little customer base they have they need to lose money and breach their own contract but Verizon Wireless does not. JD Powers 4 years running for best customer service says the customers agree...

I'm not sure where you get the interpretation I think Verizon has defections at an exponential rate. Never said any such thing. The ONLY thing I said was IF Verizon decided to make EVERYONE wait until they complete their ENTIRE 24 month contract prior to receiving a subsidized upgrade, they would have MORE defections than they currently have.

Does Verizon have people leaving for other carriers? Yes, however I made no indications on how many. I am well aware that Verizon has MORE people signing up for service than it has leaving for other carriers. That does not minimize the fact they DO have defections and I DO think those defections would increase if they made the changes indicated. Do I think Verizon will make those changes? No and I gave the reasons for my conclusion, so I am unsure how you made that interpretation. If they DID make the changes, the defections still may not even be greater than new customers though. I don't know that information, however I would bet Verizon has done the market research to have a pretty good idea how the defection rate would change.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Doubtful that will happen. Verizon used to offer annual upgrades for plans above a certain dollar amount. They did away with that a couple of years ago. I don't see any chance of some sort of variation reappearing, however I could be wrong.

0 Likes
Not applicable

No, I'm not suggesting it will happen.  Just saying it would be a good thing for customers to have that option.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

AT&T has the early upgrade option (it seems to only be an option if upgrading to an iPhone, though) and people still complain about it.  I agree that options should be there, but you can't satisfy the people that think that they should be able to upgrade at new customer pricing at any time due to their "loyalty".

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's right.  They don't seem to understand that they received a discount of $450 or so and need to pay that off first.

0 Likes