switching from basic to smartphone in the middle of a plan?
kaymcbee

I currently have a basic phone, but I won't be able to upgrade for a few months. My friend upgraded and is willing to give me their old (verizon) smartphone. I was wondering if I could switch to a smartphone now and just add data without having to renew my contract? also, I'm on a family plan and 2 other smartphones on the plan share data, would I still be able to get my own data for my phone, or would I have to share with the other phones?
Lastly, would I still be eligible for an upgrade at the end of the 2 years even if I switch to a smartphone now?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: switching from basic to smartphone in the middle of a plan?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

kaymcbee wrote:

I currently have a basic phone, but I won't be able to upgrade for a few months. My friend upgraded and is willing to give me their old (verizon) smartphone. I was wondering if I could switch to a smartphone now and just add data without having to renew my contract?  Yes.

also, I'm on a family plan and 2 other smartphones on the plan share data, would I still be able to get my own data for my phone, or would I have to share with the other phones? If it's the Share Everything plan, your line fee would go from $30 to $40, and you would share the data with the other 2 phones.  If you are on a Nationwide shared minutes/texting plan, then each line has it's own data allowance, and you would pay $30 for 2GB.

Lastly, would I still be eligible for an upgrade at the end of the 2 years even if I switch to a smartphone now?  Yes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: switching from basic to smartphone in the middle of a plan?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

kaymcbee wrote:

I currently have a basic phone, but I won't be able to upgrade for a few months. My friend upgraded and is willing to give me their old (verizon) smartphone. I was wondering if I could switch to a smartphone now and just add data without having to renew my contract?  Yes.

also, I'm on a family plan and 2 other smartphones on the plan share data, would I still be able to get my own data for my phone, or would I have to share with the other phones? If it's the Share Everything plan, your line fee would go from $30 to $40, and you would share the data with the other 2 phones.  If you are on a Nationwide shared minutes/texting plan, then each line has it's own data allowance, and you would pay $30 for 2GB.

Lastly, would I still be eligible for an upgrade at the end of the 2 years even if I switch to a smartphone now?  Yes.

0 Likes