Re: "Switch to Verizon" Promotion is Misleading; Nearly Impossible to Redeem
pherson
Champion - Level 1

What story? The fact that the program rules were not followed by you as a consumer?

Scott_H

I went to the web site and put everything they asked for what they didn't

say was the receipt had to have the device ID number on it. The receipt

they gave me didn't have the device ID on it.

0 Likes
upbeam

@hexscyn I have also been wronged by Verizon's switch scam. I contacted the news station you posted and would like to participate the the lawsuit. The lawyer i contacted said he didn't want to touch it. What's our next step?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

That's because no lawyer will touch a suit that can never be.  Take another gander at the Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
MARSHA10
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can point out the customer agreement, but that's not what we're shown or given in the store nor is it until later you find out the real scam of it all. In store, was told iPhone BOGO promotion I could use the promotion card for whatever I wanted and if I cancelled service I would only be responsible for paying the price of the phone if I used the promotion card for something else. She stated and I also only signed documents stating I had to maintain service for 3 months for the promotions. No big deal as I'd planned on keeping it forever as I was tired of being owned by ATT. To start, was told no activation fees as part of corporate discount. Activation fees were on my bill. Was sold on the iPhone 6s plus 64 and was told it was $749. Was actually sent home with the 32. Took them back thinking she'd just accidentally pulled the wrong phones out. They exchanged them and I didn't notice til wayyy later the price per phone was $849! Get back home and both my daughter and I got the iPhone. We started receiving each other's calls, texts etc. You call/text one phone and both phones received them at the same time! Took forever trying to sort that out and only a portion of it was ever fixed. Her calls still show up in my call log and vise versa. I can't use my phone at work so I looked up their email to text conversion. Works fine with my son's line, with hers it wouldn't go through. Was told their tech would look into it and get it fixed. Called to get updates, nothing ever got done. Could only use it as sending her a MMS message that used data. Then her phone got to where it would only send text messages using wifi or cellular data! Then, of course, our plan had to go up because the store couldn't fix it. Service right outside of town was awful. I thought it was because of the case I had my phone in, but found out later it was the voice service. People constantly saying I sounded far away, muffled, static, etc. Dropped calls from time to time, couldn't dial some numbers, etc. Never fixed and literally, town is only about 5 blocks away. So....5 months later I decide to go back to ATT. Now they say I owe them over $3000. Every promo card they sent me they charged back to me claiming it wasn't the 3 months I'd been told or signed, it was 6 months!!! So the installment agreement you sign and get tells you trade in device transactions are final and cannot be returned so they know apparently going in that once you find out what a scam their switch program really is, you're also out your old phones too anyway and can't cancel regardless of any 14 day cancellation policy the have! So now, my old phones they essentially paid off to the tune of $800 when I switched, they want to charge me back $500 of it in promotions (their bs trade in value which we all know is less than what you can sell them on Ebay for plus the remaining payoff amount of the phone) for what I was told and signed I only had to keep the service for 3 months for. They also want to charge me back the $650 promotion card for the free iPhone plus have me pay the full $849 making the phone charge just for that one phone $1500 (if it was to have been a free phone and they want me to now pay for it because their service/customer service was so bad I was forced to go back to ATT, then the cost of the phone is $850, not $850 plus $650! )Plus of course pay off the remaining $1500 for the 2 other phones! And they haven't even credited back the monthly service charges I paid for the month in advance! Oh and of course, tack all that on to the taxes they make you pay upfront for "purchasing" the phones you never really purchase because one company or another gets to keep them either by switching or trading in so you never really own pooh! Wonder how all of those years they were able to sell phones for a penny and stick you in the end with $200 ETFs and still make bank and now I guess they realize they make more off you this way with inflated phone costs and lying about their promotions when you're in store! Also, when I called in today to even find out what was going on, the 1st rep I talked to, Tamara, tried telling me it was because I had my service less than 3 months. I told her that wasn't true. After putting me on hold, she came back and tried telling me she was having my trade in phones sent back to me from the warehouse to offset the costs of the charge back. At that point of knowing she was a liar and didn't know what she was talking about I requested a manager. She put me on hold for 20 minutes, then I guess because her hold time was racking up, she took me off hold and left me there to listen to her personal conversation with the rep next to her for another 15-20 minutes before I finally hung up. Poor store service, poor phone customer service, poor technical support, etc... And they're probably wondering why I wouldn't want to stay with them...Easy answer!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yikes, Wall of text. So hard to read and comprehend...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Is there a cliffs notes version to this?!

msjgaw57

I also believe that this was program was designed to make redemption of switching fees near impossible. I have had to pursue the elements of this program on my own, with no help initially from Verizon. Some agents seem helpful when I call, but I inevitably reach a new roadblock once I've followed their instructions. AT&T quickly changed access to my account when service terminated, and I am unable to retrieve the bill with Contract Termination Fee, as required by Verizon. I'm sure that this is a set-up and collaboration between the companies, with so much backtracking and persistence required by the customer that the public will eventually give up. Verizon benefits with new customers, and old carriers benefit from early termination fees.

I hope to see a class action lawsuit in the future. I have kept records of my many contacts over the period of 5 months, and would jump on board immediately.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should read the Customer Agreement linked at the bottom of every Verizon Wireless web page before pursuing legal action. Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Class action is not possible but even if it was, why? Nothing happened.

0 Likes