phone insurance - yes or no
tmc75
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally got a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone in July 2014.  Since then the phone has "acted up" by going dead and not turning on unless I remove the battery and put it back. At that point there is 0% battery and is very hot.  After a full charge it works again.  It will be one year old very soon and also the end of the one year warranty.  Would it be worth it to get insurance now in case this happens again (fingers crossed that it doesn't though) and I am not able to start it up next time?  So many say that insurance is not worth it.  Then again, would it help if my phone does die or need repair?  I do not have another smartphone to reactivate in case it does happen again until my 2 year contract is up and I do not want to pay $600 for a new phone - who would. So confused. Any help/suggestions/options are welcome. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: phone insurance - yes or no
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you're still within the manufactures warranty they will give you another used one in replace of that one. I think you are past the point of adding insurance. I think it needed to be done within the first 30 days.

If it were me I would be getting a new OEM battery and making sure I'm using the original charger that came with the phone. Unless you have other symptoms to report?

0 Likes
tmc75
Enthusiast - Level 3

At one point, I was told by Verizon that there is open enrollment to add insurance even after the 30 days. I do use the original charger.  When it first happened, I didn't know what to do and so I brought it to a local Verizon store for them to check out. They tested the battery and said it was fine. If it happens again (hopefully NOT) I will bring it in again to check the battery.  They probably tell me to buy a new phone...

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It's quite possible, but if you go the insurance route I would verify the monthly amount AND the deductible. I fear it might be higher because you're already almost a year into your plan.

How did they test your battery?

0 Likes
tmc75
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, will look into it.  Not sure how they tested.  They had my phone behind the counter and plugged it in to a tester maybe?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Sounds very technical....I'd still consider spending some $10 on amazon for a new battery before I shell out for insurance and a deductible.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

tmc75 wrote:

Any help/suggestions/options are welcome. Thanks!

Here's my advice - Put aside the $ you would spend on a deductible to replace your phone with the insurance (somewhere between $100-$200).  Then, each month, put aside another $10 or so (what you would have spent on insurance).  Keep your eyes open - check eBay, Swappa, and shop for a replacement, before you need it!  Know where the deals are, and perhaps even buy a backup phone when you find the right deal.

IMO, with a phone that's a year old, the insurance is NOT worth it, if you can even get it for that phone. 

GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Ditto, I dropped insurance about 2 months after purchase of a new phone under contract.  Replacement of a phone under insurance coverage is a used phone and I believe receiving that replacement phone is contingent on a successful transaction with the Black Hole in Texas and/or possibly Verizon customer support, both seeming to be a huge crap shoot.  Instead I pocket the savings as a trade off for the day I might have to shop for a used replacement phone.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

There is a huge difference between how Edge program-related phones and warranty replacement phones are handled in the same warehouse.  A warranty will arrive to you in 2 days and take 5-7 to return to Texas.  Edge phones are just some hit or miss gamble.  Compare the 2 different types of "I sent my phone in and was charged a fee" stories here in the community.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Didn't take the time to re-research this forum but this had a big effect on my decision:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/asurion.html?page=2

0 Likes