lost blackberry storm
nabob

We have recently misplaced our Blackberry Storm.  Is there a way to locate it using a gps program?  Does Verizon have a way of tracking the phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: lost blackberry storm
risu
Contributor - Level 3
The closest they can track your phone is to the last cell tower it connected to... which means your phone could be anywhere within a 3 - 5 mile radius of the tower.
0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

The only possible thing I can think of is if you simply had it misplaced in your home somwhere and you had the device configured to emit a beeping sound upon low battery . . . you might be able to pinpoint it at that point via the sound.   This admittedly is a long shot though.   Then again you could also call your number and see if it's ringing in your home.   Somebody may even answer who has it :smileysad:

Whatever you do, call Verizon and have it shut down or those charges if used by another will be yours to pay.

dancingphone.gif
Message Edited by DarkCobra on 06-12-2009 01:00 PM
0 Likes
PhonePrincess
Contributor - Level 2

hey nabob,

if you are registered with my verizon, you can look at your current usage call log (which i believe updates every 24 hours) so that you can see the last number called using that phone...then maybe you could remember where you left/misplaced the phone.

Let us know how everything works out!

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

risu wrote:
The closest they can track your phone is to the last cell tower it connected to... which means your phone could be anywhere within a 3 - 5 mile radius of the tower.
The billing system only tracks the cell site, true. However, if you make friends at the store or "know" people, a network technician can pinpoint calls down to a sector of a cell site AND the distance from the site. A sector, depending on the site, is either a 1/3 or 1/6th pie shaped area propagating from the site. Some sites only have one sector. Next, they can then calculate the distance from the site. You see, the network knows the distance the phone is from the site based on something called "round trip delay" and can calculate how long it takes a radio signal to get from the site to the phone and back, this is on the order of microseconds. With both pieces of information, the location can be narrowed down to an arc around a portion of the cell site. Triangulating is also possible. The network knows where the phone is because it allocates resources to the phone. In some cases, the network coordinates up to three cell sites to transmit a phone call to phone phone (not a very good use of resources, but if it improves voice quality it does work). So the network knows, for instance, three sites and the round trip delay to the phone from each site. Triangulation "can" work with two sites, but you'd have to calculate the intersection of two arcs and the phone can be in one or the other arc. Wow... my brain hurts. The phones that have the Chaperone feature use GPS to locate the phone, then send the location data to a server. That's easy so long as GPS signals make it to the phone. Google also has some app that can do this, I haven't seen it in action though.
0 Likes
risu
Contributor - Level 3
That's all well and good, but it isn't something you should expect to happen.
0 Likes