horrendous reception/signal campus-wide in Staten Island NY
ru899091
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Verizon Wireless -

I have been working on the campus of the College of Staten Island for approximately 4 months and the Verizon signal/reception here is horrendous to non-existant. Many of my co-workers - especially women concerned with safety - have switched to ATT or are considering doing so.

Here's some description of how bad the reception is:

When I need to be on a telelconference using my cell, I have walked all over campus staring at my bars to get some decent signal. Even then, there are times when moving even as little as a foot results in a dropped call. When I try to use my cell in our workspace, I will place it at the window (there are no tall buildings nearby) and use a headset, which works ok but not great. If I get a call, I grab the phone and run to 1 of 3 spots in our building where I seem to get a decent signal; one of those places is outside at a particular section of wall. As you can see, this is a very touchy situation where every little movement can result in a dropped call. I'd say about half of my calls are dropped.

Here's some of my attempts to resolve this problem:

1) reprogramming my phone by dialing *228 (anytime I do this, I go through both option 1 and 2.

2) removing my battery for a few minutes, reinstalling, and restarting

3) searching for updates to my phone (none exist)

4) scanning the web in general and your website in particular for discussions of this topic. I did find that several areas on Staten Island have very poor Verizon reception.

Looking at my settings menu, there seem to be some things I can change, but I have no idea what the options are so I've done nothing so I don't make the situation worse.

My phone:

Samsung SCH-U365

Thank you for any help. I really prefer not to switch carriers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: horrendous reception/signal campus-wide in Staten Island NY
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ru899091,

Consistent and reliable reception is a standard here at Verizon Wireless. We are committed to your ability to enjoy your wireless service with us. There's no need to consider switching to another carrier. I'm excited to partner with you and get this resolved once and for all. Let's start with what zip code are you in? Is the issue just voice or is it data as well? Can I assume that there isn't any physical or liquid damage on the phone? As you share the details then we can get this resolved once and for all.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ru899091
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response.

The zip code of the college is 10314.

My phone has no damage, but as I said in my post, the problem is

campus-wide for anyone I've met who has or has had Verizon. When I get in

conversations with anyone about the problem, they tell me I need ATT to get

service on campus. I don't know if it's a data issue because I don't have a

smartphone.

I appreciate your attention to this problem.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

No service provider of cell phones guarantee service in and around structures. Somehow the university is not conducive to Verizon users. Either deal with and use a land line for calls or switch to another carrier if it's that important.  May not be the answer you were looking for but it's the answer to your issue.

best wishes

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if Verizon and Verizon Wireless is working on permanent repairs from the damage created by Hurricane Sandy.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

great point thanks for bringing that up. I forgot that there are still issues in that area.

0 Likes
ru899091
Enthusiast - Level 2

pherson -

Thanks, but I don't think it's an issue of structures. Standing in an open

field on this campus does no better. And as I said, one of the best spots

I've found is against an exterior building wall.

0 Likes
ru899091
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann - Would be great if this was a recent, temporary issue. My experience

is very recent but others who have been here for years have the same

experience (or had the same experience until they switched carriers).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ru899091,

Thank you for the information. We certainly want you to get consistent service at all times. I do see some areas may have service opportunities. In order to best figure this out we would want to have a ticket filed on your direct area with our technicians. Have you previously done so? If not please follow me TonyG_VZW and send me a DM with your account information and we can take a deeper look into this.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ru899091
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please elaborate: follow? DM? What do these mean?

0 Likes