does home wi-fi use data plan ?
ln42664

my data usage keeps going up, and I dont know why ! Using an IPhone 4S, and I was told that using it at home would connect to my home wi-fi and not use the data plan at all.... was this correct ?? The usage is showing times that I'm either asleep or at work, and other times that I should be connected to the wi-fi !

There is no way I can use 2GB in a month, which is why I chose that plan, to avoid the overage charge. I'm ready to dump Verizon, and I've been with them since 1995 !!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: does home wi-fi use data plan ?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, using your home wi-fi doesn't use Verizon cellular data.  I believe there's an issue with iPhones that when they go to sleep, it shuts off wi-fi and turns on cellular data, but I could be wrong.  You may want to turn off cellular data until it's needed, to be on the safe side.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ln42664,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your device and wi-fi. We certainly want your device to work properly at all times. I noticed that you said that the device should connect to wi-fi when you are home. You will need to make sure that your home wi-fi is set to auto-connect. Also when you are at home check and see if the device has the wi-fi signal on and not the 3G signal when using it. If you notice that it is the 3G signal; first make sure that the wi-fi is turned on and if so then restart phone to make sure it connects properly. Keep us updated on this situation because we do not want you to risk overages when you are trying to stay within your allottment.

Tony_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ln42664

@ Tony_VZW   .... After reading the reply from tikibar1, I checked my data settings and found that many things I dont even use were 'open' and using data !! The passport updates, iTunes, facetime, icloud documents, and reading list were all all set to use data and I've never used any of these.  I've now turned them off, but wonder how many others dont know their IPhones have these turned on....all it takes is to "explore" your IPhone features, and you are now caught in the web of higher bills with Verizon.

(I've had my phone almost two years, and only recently did I look at the Passport, never thinking it might cause a data problem. I dont use it, thought the feature was ridiculous actually, and it seems I was right.)

I suggest Verizon start training your sales people to tell the customers about this "little glitch", or sit back and expect the class action lawsuit.

I know I'm speaking to an attorney friend today......

FOR OTHERS WITH DATA BILLS GOING UP: CHECK SETTINGS, GENERAL,CELLULAR, THEN SEE WHAT'S TURNED ON....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

In42664, I'm glad you were able to check settings and see what apps were using data. This is not a glitch, but the way Apple designed the iPhone. When the phone is idle, it will turn off wifi and use cellular to save battery. This should be minimal usage if not many programs are running in the background. Make sure to close your running programs often http://bit.ly/TomdWF and turn off any auto syncing for any apps that you don't need running all the time.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes