cost of buying a phone out right vs. payment plan?
vermonstor

I am in a plan that I make monthly payments of $27.08 for my Iphone 5 for 2 years which comes to $650.  If I had bought this phone outright how much would it have cost me?  Did I get screwed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: cost of buying a phone out right vs. payment plan?
Snn5
Legend

Buying outright vs over 2 years is the same cost.  The costs are higher if you had renewed a 2 year contract with a $40 upgrade fee and a higher line access charge of $40 vs a More Everything plan using Edge (now device payment plan) payments.

So, in the end, Paying $650 now vs $650 over 2 years is the same.

0 Likes
vermonstor

I have 1 phone on my plan getting the $25 off edge smartphone access.  The other phone on my plan is the flat $40 line access charge.  Can I get that $40 reduced?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

No.  You must finish the contract on the 2 year subsidized phone first.  If that line is out of contract, you can change that plan to a new plan tomorrow or after, and it will be reduced to $20.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to ofering you the best value at all times, vermonstor. When the iPhone 5 came out the 2 year contract pricing was $199.99 with a $40 upgrade processing fee for the 16GB model. Consider you would not be receiving the monthly access discount of up to $25.00 a month while on the device payment plan if you purchased at the 2 year price. This amounts to $600 credit over the course of 24 months while on the device payment plan. Looking at both rates it would be $239.99 on 2 year contract or $50 on device payment plan.

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes