canceling phone line
nicoleherndon

Can you cancel a phone line when you have an upgrade?I got an upgrade from another line on our phone plan and now don't need the phone. Will it still cost me an early termination fee?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: canceling phone line
mama23dogs
Legend

Tthis may confuse you, it baffles me, but this is how it works.

The contract is on the account, not the phone.  So if you borrow an upgrade from line 1 to use on line 2, Line 1 can't be canceled without ETFs. 

If you look online, it should show which accounts are under contract, or which are upgrade eligible.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can cancel a line with Verizon at any time - but sometimes it will cost you money.

Your post is confusing - you used another line's upgrade to get a new phone and activated it on your line...is what I understand from the first part of your post.  Then you said you don't need the phone...  which line do you want to cancel?  The line whose upgrade you used? (Yes, there will be an ETF)  Your line? (ETF will vary depending on phone purchased, and length of time left on contract.  If it is currently out of contract, there will be no ETF.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It saddens me to hear you are intrested in disconnecting a line with us nicoleherndon. I would be happy to clarify the early termination fee. If the upgrade date and contract end date may be different. If the line is still under contract and eligible to upgrade, you would still be billed an early termination fee if you disconnected the line. I understand you do not use the phone on that line anymore. Do you have a VZW tablet you may activate on the line?

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
cbrown3136

I had a similar experience. I canceled one of our phone lines last month. The rep failed to tell me that due to it being the first day of our billing cycle it would pend until the end of May which I found out today when calling customer service just now... I have a confirmation of this cancelation from April 23rd via email. However I just looked at our current bill for May to find out  the other line is still active. I will be taking my current cell phone number and going to AT&T again and canceling our entire plan before our billing end date of May 22nd. Not impressed with Verizon in the least and the cell reception does not compare to AT&T I used  them for ten years until my husband wanted us to try Verizon. Sorry we did! Lack of information from customer service. Looking on the forums this seems to be a trend.

0 Likes