canceling a secondary line on the family share plan.
lovekillsslowly

hello,

i am the secondary user on the family share plan. i was wondering if it stil isl 175 dollars to cancel a contract with verizon.  and can you cancel just one line of the family share plan without effecting the other line?  i am the secondary line so they won't tell me crap because my name is not on the bill.  i am 21 and think its time to get my own line and bill in my own name haha.  i just don't want to mess anything up with my dad.  he doesn't really understand technology that well.  please don't tell me to call some verizon person because they won't help me.  but i just want to know what the deal is.  if anyone could help out that would b great.  my contract doesn't expire until 2010 and I  do not want to wait that long.  i want to try and do it without my dad really knowing as well.  i don't have a credit card yet so if i don't get approved for one this wont be happening at all newayz since you need a credit card or its better to use one to get a contract.

thanks!

franny g bby<3

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: canceling a secondary line on the family share plan.
BAN
Enthusiast - Level 2
it sounds like you want to do an Assumption of Liability (putting the phone into your name instead of your dads) this can be done 2 ways.  1.) at a corporate dealer.  2.) over the phone with customer service.  either way you are going to need both you and your dad available since your dad would need to authorize the realease of the line to you and you would need to accept terms and conditions of service and go through a credit check for verification.
0 Likes
lovekillsslowly

hello,

no what i want to do is cancel my line.  get a contract on my own with a new phone number.  and a new cell phone.  i want a blackberry touch.  can i do that with the family share plan? do the assumption of liability and then cancel it?  i guess you all don't understand what im saying. is there a fee for the assumption of liability? and is the fee still 175 dollars for canceling a line? i know that i will need my dad for part of it. wouldn't it just be simpler to cancel the one line? doing the assumption of liability would i get my own new contract? or would i continue on with my dads contract? like that makes no sense to me. would it still be a  family share plan contract but my name would be on the bill? that would be the exact opposite of what i would want to do. i have no idea what you mean.  please explain thank you.

franny g bby<3

0 Likes
BAN
Enthusiast - Level 2
The short answer is yes any line can be cancelled and it does not affect the other lines on the account since it is on its own contract.  each line on the account has its own contract if you did an assumption of liability it means that you are now solely responsible for the contract of that line you do not get a new contact you continue with the old one.  it would no longer be in your dads name and no longer be a part of his family share plan.  no matter how you do this if the line is cancelled while it is under contract there is going to be a etf.  if it is cancelled while still under your fathers name then he would be liable for it if you cancelled it while in your name you would be liable for it.  sorry if i confused you.
0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

"Ban" I think you've explained it pretty well.    Unfortunately, I don't think the originial poster is realizing that "HE" can't do any of this totally on his own without Dad knowing.    It sounds like that is what he is trying to do.     There is no amount of money he can pay to do this without Verizon first contacting Dad and Dad agreeing to cancel the second half of Dad's family plan.    Both lines technically and legally belong to the father.   He is the only entity that can authorize the relinquishing of the second family line to his son for his exclusive use.

All that being said . . . why even go that route.   Why not simply go to Verizon on your own and open your own account.   Then tell dad you no longer need his line as you have your own.    Now I understand the problem is you also don't want your Dad being angry over the termination fee.   There IS a way around that and Verizon will explain it to your Dad (or to you if you ask).    If you can within 90 days find someone who will take over that line then Verizon will indeed waive the termination fee.

Now if you're following me so far . . . the light bulb should be on!  LOL.     Instead, of you getting your own line on your own . . . YOU become that party whom your Dad found who is willing to take over the line!    That way he get's out of the termination penalty fee . . . you assume the line which will then totally be your's with a number of your own!

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 04-23-2009 06:11 PM
0 Likes
lovekillsslowly

hiya,

ya he did explain it very well the second time.  i would pay for the termination fee obvs.  thank you for calling me a guy.  cuz guys usually write in pink and purple i appreciate that.  so you can't terminate a line online?  ya i was going to do that well i was going to do it online.... get a contract.  ya im still confused maybe that is the GIRL in me.  but you find someone to take over the second line wouldnt they have my old phone number and still be under my dads contract.  so what if they mess it up and go over the minutes and stuff.  that would be sweet.  isnt what you said in the last paragraph the same thing as assumption of liablity like the guy said in the first response?  i want a new 2 yr contract so i can get a new phone haha.  thats the only point in doing this. 

franny g bby<3 

0 Likes
I want my own account
faith101
I have a question. I am currently under my husbands account he is the account holder however I have a line on his account. I want to  have my own account and keep my phone number that I currently have. What would I need to do? And if for some reason I do not get to keep the phone number. How do I go about starting a new account with a different number or same number?
0 Likes
Re: I want my own account
risu
Contributor - Level 3
Your husband can split his exisiting account and preform an AOL (Assumption of Liability) to let you take over your line on your own account.  All you need to do is call in to Customer Service with your husband and tell them thats what you want to do.
0 Likes
Re: I want my own account
faith101
thank you for the quick response and infomation.
0 Likes