Highlighted

cancel line on account due to death

ROCKSEEKERS
Miembro

I recently spent at least two hours chatting with Verizon rep via my online account regarding removing one of the phone lines on my account due to the death of the user.  Basically the bottom line was that until I drive the almost 2 hours to my nearest corporate Verizon store and provide them with a copy of the death certificate, the monthly billing for said line will continue even though the phone has not been used since November 2018.  It wasn't until the very end of my 2 hour chat that the rep was able to procure authorization to credit my current month's billing for said unused line's service charges but was again reminded that despite this "one time" credit, my account will continue to be charged monthly (almost $100) for Verizon's services.  It seems that Verizon's greed is their #1 priority; they didn't even consider the fact that there has been absolutely no activity on the unused line only that they want their money even after death.  Pathetic and ridiculous policy.  I will no longer brag about Verizon's service up here in the mountain areas any more.

Re: cancel line on account due to death

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Very sorry for your loss.  

I may save you a trip, but not the aggravation.  If the account holder dies the account becomes responsibility of the estate.  

That isn’t your case.  If a user on your account dies, you are the owner of the line and the phone, not the user - that user is not responsible for the bill in any way.  

To be very frank, there is no benefit to taking the death certificate of someone who has no financial responsibility for the account to Verizon.  You can cancel the line and sell the phone, but you bear the financial obligation to pay off the phone and their portion of the bill.  

0 Me gusta

Re: cancel line on account due to death

Community Manager
Community Manager

We're so sorry for your loss, ROCKSEEKERS. We want to ensure this process is as simple as possible for you. If the user has an active device payment, a death certificate is required when returning the device to a corporate store location. The phone and the documentation will allow us to remove the device payment from the account so you are no longer responsible for the device payment. We hope this helps clear things up for you. 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Me gusta