adding a line and changing phones question
sithlordmike90
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I currently have a droid 4, and my girlfriend is on a different carrier and wants to join up on my plan with me. She is fine with getting my phone to save money for herself and I was thinking about using this opportunity to buy a new phone for myself before my upgrade is available then switching our phones so I can keep my number, my only question about this is since the phone isn't leaving the plan will it still have its warranty? If I didn't have so many problems in the past with phones I wouldn't be worried about warranty's and what not but like many android users I've had to send in my share of phones

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: adding a line and changing phones question
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let me clarify my understanding of what you want to do, then answer your question based on my (hopefully correct) assumptions -

You want to add a line to your current plan, and get a new, discounted phone for that line.  Then swap your Droid 4 to that line and put the new phone on your line, giving the Droid 4 to your girlfriend.  Is your girlfriend going to be porting in her current phone number, or getting a new one from Verizon?  That won't affect anything, but may factor in to how long this whole process takes.

How old is your Droid 4?  Manufacturer's warranty (I believe) does not transfer if you move the phone to a different line at this point, and is only a 1 year warranty.  The Droid 4 has been out for nearly a year and a half, though I only got mine 2 1/2 months ago, and you may have had yours less than a year as well.

0 Likes
Re: adding a line and changing phones question
sithlordmike90
Enthusiast - Level 1

thanks and yes you were pretty well spot on, I already went and got it taken care of and asked the guy in the store he explained things to me very clearly, but just to clarify for ya,
The droid 4 definitely has no more warranty, I've had it for a long time now so I know that's out of the question,

The DNA I bought I got the discounted price for for adding the line, then swapped sim cards so she could have the old phone and I could grab the DNA. Because the DNA never left the plan it kept its warranty still.

My main concern was that the DNA would lose its warranty from switching owners but as he explained it since I'm still technically the owner it never switched.