Re: Winegard Connect 2.0  WF-435
sroper
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you williamhill17 for such complete and thorough explanation.  I have the same system, am hoping to use it with verizon and you've done a real service here.

0 Likes
hrtmoto

if you don't mind me asking, what plan is your winegard 2.0 set up as & what is you payment?

0 Likes
colokidd1
Enthusiast - Level 1

How did you go about updating the firmware for the modem, I was able to update the software through the control panel but they don't mention the firmware on any of their menus?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that you get the help you need with that Winegard product,colokidd1. Since Verizon doesn't have official support or resources available for this product, you'll want to reach out to Winegard for help. Here is their support page: https://winegard.com/support Does this help clarify? RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Winegard Connect 2.0 & Verizon Service
dougmoss54

I've had similar problems setting up my Winegard to use Verizon.

Finally, after getting it set up, I find that Verizon is logging incredibly large data usage and I had 5 GB of data used up in only one day. doing only web surfing and listening to about ten minutes of music on Pandora.  Looking back at the my Data Usage page on Verizon and correlating it to my actual usage times, it looks like it was logging 500 MB of data for two songs played on Pandora, and 1 GB for  5 minutes of checking my email (without downloads of files) and web surfing.

Is anyone aware of any special configuration issues or settings that need to be set up on either the  Winegard or through Verizon so that this unusually high data usage isn't charged?

I've tried to talk to Verizon technical support, but they are apparently too busy to answer their phones.

Doug

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concern with the data consumption and we'd like to help. How many and what type of devices do you have connected? 

ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes
dougmoss54

I have the Winegard Connect 2.0 receiver that collects the 4G cell signal.  The Winegard then generates a wifi signal.  Connected to the wifi signal we have two iPhones and two iPads.

The usages seems excessive.  For example, on 10/14, we streamed for about an hour (aboutt a dozen songs) on Pandora, the total data recorded by Verizon was over 2.5 GB, whereas, for an hour of streaming on Pandora, it should have been approximately 90 MB.

Quote from Pandora:  "Pandora Plus or Premium: Wi-Fi or mobile data uses 192 Kbps automatically and will use approximately 90 MB per hour."

Thanks for looking into this.

Doug

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing that additional information, Dougmoss54. I understand you have two iPhones and two iPads connected to your Winegard Connect 2.0 receiver. To gain clarity, are these devices also activated on your wireless account? I ask because your total data usage is for your entire account. Therefore, all data usage on your devices associated with your account would be included in the total usage you see. To ensure you're not using data inadvertently, we recommend turning off Wi-Fi assist on all your Apple devices using the steps mentioned here: (refer to Turn Wi-Fi Assist on or off) http://spr.ly/66091HK7P Does this information help?

ChakiaH_VZW

0 Likes
dougmoss54

ChakiaH_VZW

Thank you for your reply.  However, I don't think I have clarified the conditions.

I have two iPhones and two iPads belonging to the same AT&T account.  I also have a Winegard receiver (receives 4G signal from the Verizon towers and retransmits the internet data signal via wifi - basically a 4G-powered hotspot).

The Winegard is not an ios device, so it doesn't have a wifi-assist mode.  If I turned off the wifi assist on the AT&T iPhones/iPads, that would just cause more data to be used up through the wifi connection - which really comes from the Verizon 4G signal.  (I don't even know if my AT&T phones have a wifi-assist mode).
Is there some setting on either my AT&T phones or Winegard (which uses Verizon 4G) that I need to set so that I'm not charged for more data than I'm using?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Can you please clarify, is you Winegard, associated with an active Verizon account? AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes