Will the NFL mobile app still use data while on wi-fi?
Montanx

This may sound silly but I heard a nasty rumor that NFL mobile can only stream using your data plan, not your wifi. This sounds strange but its scary enough to ask. I use NFL mobile at home where im always connected to wifi obviously. When thats active, its streaming through wifi and not burning my data plan right? Obviously I know if im out and about using 4G and use it it will use data. Just want to make sure.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NFL mobile uses my wifi, not my data right?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are connected to wifi, you can use the NFL mobile to watch the games and it won't use your data.... you can turn off mobile data to ensure it's using only the wifi.

We watched a few games on the phone (no cable at home so it was nice to watch a few Monday night games, even if it was on a small screen!) and it averaged 2-3GB per game, all on wifi though.  My data plan is 2GB shared and we usually average between one and two GB (2 smartphones and a tablet) - so, yeah, check the icons to be sure you are using the wifi connection and watch all the football you want!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question Montanx. I can certainly answer this for you. The NFL mobile app can use either your mobile data or wifi. If you prefer for it to only use wifi, you'd need to preference that in your handset by either restricting the background data to the application if you're using an Android/Galaxy device or by turning off cellular for the NFL mobile application itself on an iPhone device. 

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are connected to wifi, you can use the NFL mobile to watch the games and it won't use your data.... you can turn off mobile data to ensure it's using only the wifi.

We watched a few games on the phone (no cable at home so it was nice to watch a few Monday night games, even if it was on a small screen!) and it averaged 2-3GB per game, all on wifi though.  My data plan is 2GB shared and we usually average between one and two GB (2 smartphones and a tablet) - so, yeah, check the icons to be sure you are using the wifi connection and watch all the football you want!!

0 Likes